Last modified: 2021-04-24 by ivan sache
Keywords: vagharshapat | ejmiatsin |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag and emblem of Vagharshapat - Images by Valentin Poposki, 10 January 2021
Vagharshapat (officially known as Ejmiatsin until 1995) is the fourth largest city in Armenia (46,540 inhabitants in 2011) and the spiritual centre of the Armenians being the seat of the Catholicos of All Armenians, the head of the Holy Armenian Apostolic Church. It is the most populous city in Armavir province, located about 20 km west of Yerevan, 25 km east of the regional centre of Armavir, and only 10 km north of the Armenia-Turkish borderline.
Valentin Poposki, 10 January 2021
The flag of Vagharshapat (photo) is apricot yellow with a purple, slightly off-centered to the left, cross, superimposed with the town's circular coat of arms.
Apricot yellow recalls that Vagharshapat was a royal town.
Purple symbolizes the Catholicate.
The emblem is bordered by a gray ring charged with yellow grapevines, substituted in the emblem's upper part by a castle with brown windows, protruding out of the ring.
The inner ring is blue, inscribed on town with the town's name in Armenian capital letters, "ԷՋՄԻԱԾԻՆ", and three crosses.
The central, apricot yellow, disc, outlined in orange, is charged with a purple quaterfoil bordered in blue and outlined in orange featuring four white archangels and, in the center, a blue disc bordered in apricot yellow and inscribed with the orange letter "E", "Է", for "Ejmjatsin" and "Essence".
[ Municipal website]
The designer of the emblem, Arshak Manukyan (b. 1956 in Vagharshapat; website) is a jeweler of international fame, who was awarded in 1981 the title of National Master of Armenia.
Valentin Poposki & Ivan Sache, 10 January 2021