Last modified: 2014-07-05 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: salliqueló | partido de salliqueló |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The District of Salliqueló (8,644 inhabitants in 2010, 7,522 in the town of Salliqueló; 79,000 ha) is located in the west of the Buenos Aires Province, 560 km from Buenos Aires. The municipality is made of the town of Salliqueló, of the settlement of Quenumá and of Estación Graciarena.
Salliqueló was originally a colony established on 7 June 1903 by the Hugo Stroeder company on a plot purchased from Saturnino Unzué. Stroeder, who founded 25 towns and 70 colonies in the Buenos Aires, La Pampa, Entre Ríos, Santa Fe, San Luis and Córdoba Provinces, reserved 500 out of the 45,000 ha for the building of the settlement and sold to colonists the remaining area as individual plots of 100 ha each. The first colonists, mostly from La Plata and Magdalena, settled the area on 21 March 1903 after a long train journey. The village was named for native's words meaning "The Skunk's Dunes".
Originally incorporated to the District of Guaminí, Salliqueló was transferred in 1908 to the newly created District of Pellegrini. The District of Salliqueló was established by Law No. 6,625 of 28 October 1961, tabled by the Provincial Senator Ivón Nicolás Sanseau, and promulgated by Decree No. 12,391 of 13 November 1961.
Ivan Sache 20 Jan 2014 Other sites:
The flag of Salliqueló is horizontally divided light blue-white-green (5:4:1). In the middle of the flag is placed a sun made of a red disk and 32 wavy yellow rays. The disk is charged with the head of a young bovine.
The flag, designed by Lisandro Ruiz, was inaugurated on 13 December 2010, during the celebration of the 49th anniversary of the establishment of the municipality.
Blue and white symbolize the belonging of Salliqueló to Argentina, being also the colours of the sky.
White is a symbol of the light provided by the Roman Catholic faith defended by our founding fathers and inscribed in the first part of Article 2 of the National Constitution: "The Federal Government shall support the Roman Catholic cult.
Green reflects the significance of agriculture and represents hope not to be lost in spite of difficulties.
Red, in the center of the sun, recalls the Voroga natives, from the Mapuche-Tehuelche-Ranquel branch, who were displaced during the Desert Campaign.
Yellow represents the light of the sun that enlightens every day; the 32 rays highlight our belonging to the motherland.
The young bovine recalls that Salliqueló os the Provincial Capital of Young Bovines. The profile instead of the face of the bovine is represented, suggesting interest for progress and advancement not only of cattle breeding but also of the whole municipality.
The blue and white stripes covers more space since our skyline is low and our sky is wide. The low horizon and the wide sky covers the Pampas plain, therefore the green stripe should be much smaller.
Ivan Sache, 20 Jan 2014
Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.