Last modified: 2021-12-24 by rob raeside
Keywords: la paz department | entre ríos province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Bovril is located in central northern Entre Ríos Province.
Bovril is named for the British company "Bovril Ltd.", known in Argentina as "Sociedad Argentina Bovril" or "Compañía Bovril". The company was founded in London in 1889 by the Scot John Lawson Johnston (1839-1900), who had registered in 1887 an extract of meat of his invention under the trademark "Bovril". Johnson named his product for the Latin word "bos, bovis", "a bovine", and for "vril", the liquid substance at the origin of the success of the underground humanoid race described by Edward Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1873) in his once famous novel "Vril: The Power of the Coming Race" (1871). Extract of meat was invented by the German chemist Justus von Liebig (1803-1876) and his associate, the Belgian engineer Georg Christian Giebert. The "Kemmerich & Giebert" company, registered in Antwerp (Belgium), founded near Santa Elena, in the north of Entre Ríos Province, the first extract of meat factory in Argentina; in 1909, they sold the factory and the neighbouring ranches to Bovril Ltd. Bovril quickly grew up as a worldwide economical empire. The company had its headquarters in Buenos Aires and owned thousands hectares of land in several provinces. At his peak, Bovril owned in Argentina an area equal to half the area of England, where 1,500,000 were bred; in Entre Rios, the company managed in 1926 more than 130,000 ha. In 1970, Sir Ian Lawson Johnston (1905-1996), the founder's nephew, sold Bovril Ltd. to Cavenham Co. The company was purchased in 1973 by the Santa Fé-base SAFRA, which managed it until 1984. Acquired by the Entre Rios provincial government, Bovril was privatized in 1991.
The "Colony and village of Bovril" was officially established on 26 March 1913, when the governor of the Entre Ríos Province validated the draft of the new settlement designed by the land surveyor Antonio Tost and the civil engineer César Menegazzo. Originally known as "Km 49" (from its location on the railway), the village was renamed for the company that had ceded the plots of land required to build the new settlement. The railway station was inaugurated on 11 April 1914, the village counting then 2,350 inhabitants.
The second-rank municipality of Bovril was established by Provincial Decree No. 2,441 of 27 June 1951. Provincial Decree No. 2,375 of 20 November 1981 upgraded Bovril to a first-rank municipality.
Original source: Genaro Tomás O. Gaitz &Alcides Darío Coronel,"Despertando los Recuerdos. Un Recorrido por la Historia de la Ciudad de Bovril y Zonas Vecinas".
The flag of Bovril is horizontally divided yellow-dark green, with a white triangle placed along the hoist and an emblem, different from the municipal coat of arms, placed in the middle o the ooloured field (triangle excluded).
White represents purity, joy, liberty and light. The upper, yellow stripe refers to the sun, as a source of light, force and life.
The lower, green stripe alludes to the land, the fields, hope and the natural environment.
The emblem features in the middle a family entering the area [more precisely, a man riding a horse pulling a cart with the rest of the family, all black], recalling the history of the town, built by immigrants, under the sun and the sky present on the national flag. Below is a cultivated field, as the product of the men settled in the area, and one of the most important sources of income in the area. The oval shield is framed by wheat grains and maize cobs, two of the main crops the most representative of the region. Beneath the shield is a scroll made of the flags of Argentina (left) and of Entre Rios (right), as a symbol of confraternity in unity and support to the nation.
The flag was selected in a public contest organized in 2006 by the Directorate and the Commission of Arts and Culture. The jury met on 30 May 2006 to examine the 24 submitted proposals; the design proposed by Irma Liduvina Ortiz de Rueda was proclaimed the winning design by Act no. 70 of the Commission of Arts and Culture.
The flag was formally approved by Ordinance No. 593 of 30 May 2006, promulgated by Decree No. 117. The flag was officially unveiled on 20 June 2006.
Original source: Genaro Tomás O. Gaitz &Alcides Darío Coronel,"Despertando los Recuerdos. Un Recorrido por la Historia de la Ciudad de Bovril y Zonas Vecinas"
Ivan Sache, 06 Aug 2013