Last modified: 2021-12-24 by rob raeside
Keywords: uruguay department | entre ríos province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Basavilbaso (9,005 inhabitants in 2001; 750 ha),
aka Basso, was built around a railway station inaugurated on 30 June
1887 by the Entre Rios Central Railway company. Located on Km
222,445, the station was named Gobernador Basavilbaso by Law of 23
August 1887, as a tribute to Clemente Basavilbaso (1841-1907),
Governor of Entre Ríos Province from 1887 to 1891. The station became
an important rail junction, nicknamed "Capital of the
Trains" ("Capital de los Trenes").
On 24 August 1891, Baron Maurice de Hirsch (1831-1896) founded in London the Jewish Colonization Association (JCA) to promote the emigration of Jews of Central Europe an Asia. In 1894, Jewish colonists established in Basavilbaso a colony named Lucienville, as a tribute to the Baron Hirsch's son, deceased in 1887. Nicknamed "Jewish Gauchos" ("Gauchos Judíos"), from the title of a book published in 1910 by Alberto Gerchunoff (1882-1950), the colonists yielded to Basavilbaso the title of "Cornerstone of Argentine Agricultural Cooperativism".
The flag of Basavilbaso is quartered white-celeste blue-red-green by a gray decentered saltire. Over the intersection of the saltire's arms is placed a yellow disk with a gray border.
The flag, designed by Maximiliano Barac, was adopted by the Municipal Council on 30 June 2007 after selection by a jury among 53 proposals designed by students. The official contest had been prescribed by Municipal Ordinance No. 94 of 29 August 2006.
The flag was inaugurated on 29 June 2007 during the celebration of the 120th anniversary of the establishment of the town.
Celeste blue recalls the sky, the vision of future, thought, as well as water, the source of life for mankind, referring here to the local project of spa.
Red recalls the soil, production, federalism, and the Entre Rios flag.
Green recalls the diversity of soil types, agricultural cooperativism, hope, and the natural environment.
White recalls immigration, the melting-pot, religion, the community and the ideal for the future of the town.
Gray recalls the railway. The crossing of the railway lines, the means of communication with the neighbouring town, divided the town in four boroughs.
Yellow recalls the sun, as well as the light of a locomotive and the town as the center of the four directions communicating with the neighbouring settlements.
Ivan Sache, 08 Aug 2013
The municipality of Herrera (1,587 inhabitants in 2001) is located in
eastern Entre Ríos Province.
Herrera is also known as Villa San Miguel. In 1868, Nicolás Herrera, from La Rioja Province, was granted a plot in the Gená District. His son Julián purchased in 1875, together with his brother-in-law, Juan Libaros, 7,850 ha, where they established two estates, Santa Vicente and Santa Celmira, respectively. Julián subsequently reunited the two domains. In 1891, Julián Herrera established on his own funds a railway station, which he named Nicolás Herrera, as a tribute to his father. The railway allowed him to transport the products of his estate to the port of Concepción del Uruguay. The village that developed near the railway was officially established, as Villa San Miguel, on 11 October 1912.
In 1922, the Herrera estate was rented by Italian colonists from Santa Fe, who re-established agriculture and cattle-breeding.
The flag of Herrera, selected on 19 June 2012 in a public contest, is diagonally divided red-green by a broad ascending yellow diagonal stripe charged with black railways. A yellow white spike is placed in canton.
The flag was inaugurated during the celebration of the 121st anniversary of the establishment of the town
The railways recall the origin of the town. The green field and the wheat spike recalls that the town mostly grown from agriculture. Red represents Argentine federalism, ambition and positivism.
Ivan Sache, 11 Aug 2013
The municipality of Villa Mantero (1,526 inhabitants in 2001) is
located in the Uruguay Department, 50 km of Concepción del Uruguay.
Villa Mantero was founded on 29 September 1893 by the trader Juan
Miguel Séro. The founder named the village for his father-in-law, Juan
A. Mantero, a politician who struggled against the transfer of the
provincial capital from Concepción del Uruguay to Paraná, to no avail.
The flag of Villa Mantero is divided green-yellow by a red bend. A blue horizontal stripe is added in the green part.
The flag was inaugurated on 29 September 2012 during the celebration of the 119th anniversary of the foundation of the town.
The flag was designed by Norma Martínez, who won the public contest organized by the municipal administration. The other participants to the contest were Ricardo Korell, Jonathan Heidenreich, Mónica Kroh, Miguel Continetti and Andrés Continetti. It appears that the decision was made in November 2007
Yellow represents the Christian faith, recalling that the first church in the region was built in Villa Mantero.
Green represents field work.
Red represents Federalism.
Blue represents brook Gená, whose water is used to irrigate the crops.
Ivan Sache, 07 Oct 2012