Last modified: 2022-09-10 by rob raeside
Keywords: san justo department | córdoba province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Alicia (2,758 inhabitants in 2001) is located in the east of Córdoba Province, 190 km of Córdoba.
The flag of Alicia was designed by Fabricio Juan Mina, winner of a public contest organized in 2013 by the Culture Commission.
The flag is horizontally divided white-green. In the middle is placed an emblem made of a 26-ray sun surrounded in its upper half by eight blue stars and in its lower part by two wheat spikes. Beneath is inscribed the year "1913", in white.
White represents dairy industry while green represents the fields. The emblem alludes to the date of foundation of the town, 26 [rays] August [8 stars] 1913.
The wheat spikes represent agriculture, a source of increase and movement at the time of harvest.
The sun and the stars refer to day and night, to the fields, and to the dairy and agricultural industries, which are the force of the town and of the region, which dedicate the 24 hours of the day to these tedious tasks.
Ivan Sache, 17 Jan 2015
image by Ivan Sache, 18 December 2018
The municipality of Arroyito (22,147 inhabitants in 2010, 2,001 ha) is located
in the San Justo Department, 120 km east of Córdoba. Arroyito is the cradle of
the Arcor (named for Arroyito and Córdoba) confectionery group, which opened its
first candy factory in the town in 1951. Accordingly, Arroyito is nicknamed
Arroyito was named for a brook ("arroyo"). Dried up long ago, the brook crossed the site of the present-day's town, meandering from south-west to south-east, formed a small lake known as Don Gerónimo Lario's lake, and eventually joined river Segundo Nuevo / Xinaes. The first census ordered in 1778 in the aftermath of the establishment of the Vice Kingdom of Rio de la Plata yielded 220 inhabitants and 34 houses located around a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Mercy, which was erected by a Spanish colonist, José Ignacio Urquia.
The flag of Arroyito was unveiled on 27 October 2017. In 2015, the Mayor, Mauricio Cravero, commissioned the Director of Culture, Viviana Sam Sam, to organize a flag contest, which was eventually validated by the Municipal Council. For one month, 40 submitted proposals were assessed by a jury composed of the lawyer Ana María Josefina Pizzi, of the visual artist Stella Mari León, of the architect María Noel Picca, of the graphic designer Guillermina Ariana Radicci, and of the graphic designer Mariano José Ciancia. The winner of the contest, was awarded a prize of 10,000 $ (pesos); while María Paulina González was offered a special prize of 5,000 $ (pesos).
The flag is horizontally divided celestial blue-green with a thin white horizontal stripe in the center and a white disc charged with a golden emblem, composed of a tree (top) and a half cogwheel (bottom).
The design was deemed simple and visually attractive thanks to the balance of its elements; the design highlights the community, representing both its past and present.
Green represents hope, growth, and soil fertility; green highlights the extent of the fields and the vitality and energy of the youth.
Celestial blue represents Argentina and Córdoba, being featured on their two flags. Blue also represents river Xanaes that crosses the town.
White represents purity, light and solidarity. The stripe includes two golden elements. Gold means wealth in its broader meaning, representing in old heraldry knowledge, power and strong-mindedness.
The central elements represent the past and the present of the town.The algarrobo tree recalls that timber, used to build modern houses in Buenos Aires, was once the main source of income. The trees were also used to produce charcoal and firewood. The cogwheel recalls the small workshops that produced ham, ice, ointment and aniline, and were subsequently replaced by steel industry, of national and international fame.
http://www.municipioarroyito.gob.ar/noticias/3645-arroyito-tiene-su-bandera Municipal website, 30 October 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c52sGy7uwPw Proclamation of the results
The flag was inaugurated on 23 November 2017
El Arroyitense, 27 November 2017
Ivan Sache, 18 December 2018
image by Ivan Sache, 16 May 2017
The municipality of Brinkmann (9,890 inhabitants in 2010; 14,125 ha) is located
208 km of Córdoba and 230 km of Santa Fe, in the San Justo Department.
Brinkmann is named for its founder, Abraham Julius Brinkmann (1839-1895), a German born near Dortmund who emigrated to Argentina in 1856. In 1887, he purchased a plot of 21 square leagues from the Milessi brothers. The Buenos Aires-Rosario railway was inaugurated on 14 February 1891. Brinkmann offered part of his plot to the railway company to establish a station. The town of Brinkmann was officially established in 1892.
http://www.brinkmann.gov.ar - Municipal website
The flag of Brinkmann is prescribed by Ordinance No. 2,543, adopted in July 2011.
The flag is horizontally divided green-white-green, on the model of the national flag, with an emblem in the middle.
The flag was designed by Ivana Galotto, winner of a public contest organized by the municipality, among 18 submissions.
The colours are the same as for the municipal coat of arms.
Green is a symbol of hope, freshness and vitality; it represents the natural environment, the territory, flora; fauna and the agricultural production.
Yellow is a symbol of energy and force; it represents the collective practice of fraternity and human solidarity.
The lighter shade of yellow used, in a lesser proportion, symbolizes the harmony of the place and welfare. This colour is also used on the municipal coat of arms.
White is a symbol of light, kindness and safety. It has a positive connotation and can represent a happy start.
The sun represents energy and is our main symbol. The sun rises from a territory, indicating a future, hope, change and a new morning. The sun is shaped like a gear as an image of local industry.
The plant is represented as small but growing, highlighting the work done by the inhabitants, the institutions and the groups that fostered together the growth and progress of the town. This also recall that the town was born from a small seed.
http://www.brinkmann.gov.ar/bandera.asp - Municipal website
The coat of arms of Brinkmann was designed by Alejandro Moyano Aliaga, as "Or a handshake proper. A bordure vert eight bees proper. The shield surmounted by a rising sun or".
The handshake is a symbol of fraternity, friendship and loyalty.
The bees are a symbol of cooperation and work.
Or is a symbol of justice, generosity and wealth.
Vert is a symbol of hope, industry, constancy, intrepidity and abundance.
http://www.brinkmann.gov.ar/sec_escudo.asp - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 16 May 2017
The municipality of Freyre (5,906 inhabitants in 2001) is located in the San Justo Department, 240 km west of Córdoba City.
Freyre originates in the parish of Plaza Freyre, established on 9 September 1886 by José Bernardo Iturraspe on a piece of land purchased in 1883, together with Antonio Agrelo, from Crisólogo Oliva. Iturraspe named the place for his mother, Carmen Freyre.
Originally located some 3.5 km form the today's town, the settlement was moved near the railway station inaugurated in 1891.
José Bernardo Iturraspe (1847-1906) founded several places in the Córdoba (San Francisco, Iturraspe, Freyre, Amalia, Luís Sauce, El Chañar, and Quebracho Herrado) and Santa Fe (San Vicente, Gálvez, Alcorta, La Pelada, Soledad, San Jorge, Sastre, Angélica, Margarita, Eustolia, Concepción, Ortiz, Ambrachito, Cayastá, La Picaza, Bossi, Colonizador de Córdoba, Nueva Ceres...) Iturraspe was Mayor of Santa Fe in 1898 and Governor of the Santa Fe Province in 1902.
The flag of Freyre is vertically divided blue-white blue with three green stars forming a triangle in the middle, a green horizontal stripe at the top and a red horizontal stripe at the bottom. Designed by Maria Verónica Martínez, the flag was inaugurated on 9 September 2012 during the celebration of the 126th anniversary of the foundation of the town.
Celeste blue, together with white, represents the sports identity of Freyre, being the colors of the jersey of Club Atlético "9 de Julio Olímpico". Blue is also the color of the cloak of the Blessed Virgin, Our Lady of the Rosary being the patron saint of the town. Blue represents the immensity of the sky; it also recalls the flag of the Córdoba Province and of Argentina. The popular tradition claim that blue symbolizes generosity, which is found in the natural environment as wall as in the institutions and inhabitants of Freyre.
White, beyond the sports identify represented together with blue, is a symbol of diary production, a main source of local income. White also symbolizes peace as a state of tranquillity and safe common life aspired to by the community of Freyre, such good relations between people being characteristic of a small town.
The green and red stripes recall the Italian origin of several local families. The colors of the Italian flag also celebrates the partnership with Barge, initiated 15 years ago. Green also represents pastures and farm works. It is also a symbol of hope, representing life and the renovating potential of the youth.
Red, moreover, allows the integration of the flag with the coat of arms of Freyre and with the recently adopted flag of the Córdoba Province. The popular tradition claims that red symbolizes strength, strong-mindedness, energy and value; in heraldry, it symbolizes valor and courage, suitable to represent the inhabitants of the place.
The three green stars represent the three cooperatives operating on the municipal territory, "Manfrey Cooperativa de Tamberos de Comercialización e Industrialización Limitada", "Cooperativa Agrícola, Ganadera y de Consumo Freyre Limitada", and "Cooperativa de Provisión de Servicios Públicos de Freyre Limitada". The cooperative system is an historical characteristic of Freyre and the origin of its growth. The three stars form a triangle, representing a pine as an allegory of the cooperativist system.
The flag was selected in the public contest "Creación de la Bandera de Freyre". On 30 July 2012, the jury shortlisted two proposals. A Honour was awarded to the local artist Raúl Rolando, whose proposal did not comply with all the requirements of the contest; accordingly, the jury preferred the design proposed by Maria Verónica Martínez, requiring minor modifications of one of the colours. Would the author accept themodification, the flag would become the official flag of Freyre.
Ivan Sache, 02 Oct 2012
The municipality of La Francia (3,804 inhabitants in 2010) is located in San
Justo department, 150 km east of Córdoba and 50 km west of San Francisco.
La Francia emerged as Estación La Francia, a settlement established around a railway station on the line connecting Córdoba with San Francisco. While the line was officially inaugurated on 15 October 1888, there is no official date of foundation for La Francia. He same is true for several neighboring places.
There is no documentation either, on the origin of the name La Francia (France), but local explanations. Some say that a colonist of French origin named the village during a flood, because he had to cross a "sea" to go home, as he did when coming from France. Other say that the village was named for the post office established in a shop owned by two French people. Since the building of the railway station and of the Eiffel Tower was completed the very same year, 1889, some say that the village was named by French engineers.
The flag of La Francia is prescribed by Ordinance No. 23 issued on 1 September 2021 by the Municipal Council. The flag, designed by architect Alejandra Rubiolo, was selected on 7 August 2021 among 12 proposals submitted in a public contest initiated in June 2021. The jury was composed of seven members, the designer of the municipal coat of arms, Iris Longo de Ballatore, included.
The flag is diagonally divided celestial blue-green by a white ascending diagonal, charged in the center by a black Eiffel Tower and a golden yellow [half] cogwheel beneath it.
The proportions of the charges (Eiffel Tower and cogwheel) are derived from the construction sheet [not available]).
The celestial blue color, Located in the flag's upper half, at hoist, symbolizes the diurnal and limpid sky characteristic of the place; it is also, together with the white part, a reference to the country's patriotic colors, also featured on the flag of the province of Córdoba, therefore symbolizing La Francia's territorial affiliation. The celestial blue color is also prominently featured on the municipal coat of arms.
The green color represents the fields and the natural environment, which are the bases of local income. The soil fertility allowed the village's growth and development, initiating the emergence of important companies producing agricultural machinery, trade and institutions. Green is also a reference to Italy, being with white a color of the flag of the country that supplied several of La Francia's early inhabitants. It recalls twinning with Ferrere (Piedmont, Italy).
The white color represents open-mindedness to the establishment of new cultures (French, Italian, Spanish...) in the past, present and future. The immigrants' relentless labor has contributed to prosperity and economical and cultural development. Most notable of them, founder Pascual Lencinas, who offered plots for the establishment of the village's square, church and school, and presided the first Development Council in September 1908.
The white stripe's ascending shape symbolizes aspiration to energy, power and search of prosperity that drove La Francia's people, as well as positive feeling and aspiration to a better future. The ascending shape reflects longing for permanent improvement.
The black color of the Eiffel Tower, as well as iron used to build it, is a reference to the railways whose establishment decided the location of the town. The establishment of the town is closely connected to the building of the Córdoba Central Railway (since 1940, Manuel Belgrano Railway); La Francia emerged as a station on the line established in 1888 between San Francisco and the provincial capital.
The golden yellow color of the cogwheel represents abundance and wealth generated by the place's economical sectors, especially agriculture, breeding, dairy, metallurgical industry, and, more recently, beekeeping.
The Eiffel Tower is a straightforward reference to the town's name. It is the emblematic symbol of the country of origin of several early settlers of the place. Registered in 1991 on UNESCO's World Heritage List, the monument definitively identifies La Francia with France; its building occurred at the same time as the building of the local railway. The Eiffel Tower is also featured on the municipal coat of arms.
The cogwheel refers to La Francia's economical power. The open cogwheel symbolizes openmindedness to future potential source of income. Joint with green, the color of the fields, form which it depends, it constitutes the economic basis of La Francia.
The flag was officially unveiled on 20 September 2021.
Ivan Sache, 9 October 2021Other sites:
The municipality of San Francisco (59,163 inhabitants in 2002, mostly of Italian [Piedmont] or Spanish origin), capital of the San Justo Department, is located in northeastern Córdoba Province, on the border with the Santa Fe Province.
San Francisco was founded on 9 September 1886 by José Bernardo Iturraspe. The settlement that thrived around the railway station built in 1888, was granted the status of "ciudad" in 1915.
The flag of San Francisco is prescribed by Municipal Ordinance No. 4,858 of 3 October 2000, promulgated by Municipal Decree No. 550 of 10 October 2000. The flag was designed by Mauro Codini, winner of the public contest prescribed by Ordinance No. 4,814.
The flag is white with the municipal coat of arms near the fly, representing the geographical location of San Francisco in central eastern Argentina. The two wavy celeste blue stripes placed below the shield represent Argentina. The six orange flames placed along the hoist represent the inhabitants of San Francisco.
The coat of arms of San Francisco is prescribed by Municipal Ordinance No. 526 of 9 September 1936; it was designed for the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the foundation of the town.
The shield is tierced per fess. The upper part is "steel blue" with a golden twelve-cogged wheel, representing industry. The middle part is white with a "stone grey" tower symbolizing the moral strength of the people and a fortress, recalling the old struggle against barbary. The tower is similar to the one shown on the coat of arms of the Córdoba Province. The tower is flanked by four bees proper, symbolizing work.
The lower part is blue with three wheat spikes, representing agriculture, the origin of the colony. The shield has a golden border, inscribed on top "CIUDAD DE SAN FRANCISCO", charged on the lateral sides with interlaced laurel leaves, the universal symbol of glory and prosperity.
Ivan Sache, 29 May 2012
image located by Vanja Poposki, 7 August 2022
30 October, 2020: The municipal authorities will present tonight at 7:00
p.m. in the Community Hall the brand new Transito flag. The proposal that
obtained the majority of the votes in the voting carried out weeks ago is
tricolor. The green represents the flat fields of the town where the main
economic activities take place: agriculture, livestock and dairy that allowed
Tránsito to grow and develop. It also alludes to the land that, in its
beginnings, housed mountains of carob trees, quebrachos and native trees, which
were the origin of the local industry. This town, at the beginning of the 20th
century, developed around the exploitation and industrialization of wood. The
color green is also intended to signify the hope of the community, the optimism
of its youth and the social commitment assumed as a society with the ecosystem.
The yellow, on the other hand, alludes to the name of the town and its origins.
At its roots is the faith of its inhabitants towards San Francisco, which led
to the construction of an oratory in his honor. The name of this saint was
originally adopted to designate the place that would later be known as Villa
del Tránsito, where a temple was erected in honor of Our Lady of Transit. Then
the town adopts its name due to its proximity to that town.
The yellow band symbolizes the energy and vitality of youth and the desire for prosperity for our inhabitants.
The yellow color does not allude to religious beliefs, but is present in this flag as a cultural and historical symbol with which it is intended to include all the creeds that are professed in these communities.
On the other hand, the light blue represents the Xanaes River, highlighting the geographical place that all transitenses know as "El Paso de la horqueta", where the arms of the river come together to form one. The river was and is an important protagonist in local history. Its existence originally led to the establishment of the sanavirones, native peoples of the Cantamala region and, later, to concentrate on its margins the different posts of the Camino Real, serving as a source of water for the inhabitants and for the horses that circulated down that path
On the other hand, the river provides fertility to the soil, allowing these lands to be rich for agricultural activity, a fundamental support for the local economy, and it is also a place of recreation used by its inhabitants and visitors to the region.
The white color symbolizes the railway tracks, today called General Belgrano (Originally Central Córdoba Railway). The employees who worked on its construction began to build their homes on both sides of the railways, giving rise to the town, which was initially called Transit Station.
The white color was used, since in combination with the celestial blue, it alludes to our national and provincial standard, and its corresponding belonging.
In addition, this color expresses the solidarity and friendship of the people, the peace that the immigrants found when they settled in this land and the brotherhood with the neighboring towns.
White also identifies milk, one of the most produced products in the area, and its dairy industries.
Finally, the central symbol, in a bright golden hue, symbolizes the sun and the man who has passed the tests.
The graphic icon is given by the merged figures. They are a half wagon wheel (at the bottom), and a half train wheel (at the top). Both point to two milestones that have occurred in local history, such as the Camino Real and the passage of the railway.
The wheel, which originates from the fusion of the aforementioned, indicates the evolution, the passage of time: past, present and future. The wheel is a symbol of movement, transit, Transito.
The five buttons (wheel bolts) refer to the five communities that administratively depend on Tránsito: Plaza Bruno, Villa del Tránsito, La Quemada, Los Quebrachitos and Pampa del Mercado; but also, they symbolize the family.
Finally, the spokes of the cart wheel represent the institutions of this small town of San Justo.
Vanja Poposki, 7 August 2022