Last modified: 2016-02-27 by ian macdonald
Keywords: australia | klondike |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Dave Martucci, 26 June 2010
The National Museum of Australia recently acquired a flag that was apparently
commissioned by a group of Australians who went to the Klondike goldfields in
1898, purchased a boat, named it the 'Kangaroo', and commissioned the flag. They
travelled 400 miles into the wilderness to "the smelliest place on earth" as
quoted in the "Jamieson Chronicle" in December 1898. One of the men, who had
been a miner back in Australia, was Charles Lloyd and the flag has been in his
family since. The flag is mentioned in Brian Lloyd's "Gold at the Ten Mile: The
Jamieson Goldfield" (Shoestring Bookshop, Wangaratta [Vic], 1978), pg. 163.
The flag is small, 35" x 39" (90 cm x 100 cm), hand-painted blue with a variant of the pre-federation Australia Coat-of-Arms painted on each side. The two versions of the Arms are slightly different. On one side of the flag "Klondyke 1898 Alaska" is written in very small letters, possibly in ink.
Dave Martucci, 26 June 2010