Last modified: 2019-01-19 by ian macdonald
Keywords: tamar yacht club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Estb: 1837. Location: Launceston, TAS.
Burgee: Pennant 1:2. White field charged with a blue St. George style cross centred 2 units from hoist.
Source: accessed 18 December 2018, https://www.facebook.com/Tamar-Yacht-Club-180881512012020/
"FLAGS, DRESS & EMBLEMS: 14.
(1) The Club flag shall be the National Flag of the Commonwealth of Australia.
(2) (a) The Club burgee shall be white with a royal blue cross.
(b) Except by permission of the Club, members shall only fly the burgee on yachts on the Yacht Register.
(c) The burgee shall be at least fifteen centimetres in the hoist and thirty centimetres in the fly.
(3) (a) The Commodore’s flag shall be the burgee with swallow-tail.
(b) The Vice-Commodore’s flag shall be the burgee with swallow-tail with one royal blue disc in the upper canton.
(c) The Rear-Commodore’s flag shall be the burgee with swallow-tail with two royal discs, one in the upper canton and one in
the lower canton.
(d) The Past Commodore’s flag shall be a rectangular flag similar to the Club burgee in design, with the letter “R” in the upper canton."
Source: accessed 6 January 2019, https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/piano.revolutionise.com.au/site/ajcqrrphebpi9a1n.pdf
"September 2nd, 1837, also saw a report published in the Launceston newspaper 'The Cornwall Chronicle' of the formation of the Tamar Yacht Club 'with eight yachts and plans to hold a regatta on the occasion of the Queen's Birthday.' This report is the basis for Tamar Yacht Club's claim to be the oldest yacht club in the southern hemisphere. . . . The Club went on to establish a clubhouse and jetty at Park Street, Launceston. A slip yard was built to provide maintenance facilities for member's boats. Racing and cruising was conducted from this base, with a Start/Finish 'box' constructed in the nearby Royal Park grounds. . . . In 1955 the Club purchased a new clubhouse at 7 Park Street, . . . In 1996 the Club purchased the Beauty Point Marina to provide safe mooring facilities for the club member's craft. . . . 2008 saw some significant changes at the Tamar Yacht Club. The opening of a new club house in the grounds of the Beauty Point Marina, in addition to the facilities in Launceston, some 37nm away, has enabled a wider program of sailing events and activities.”
Source: accessed 7 January 2019, http://tyc.yachting.org.au/our-club/history/
Peter Edwards, 13 January 2019