Last modified: 2011-12-03 by ivan sache
Keywords: antwerp |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Antwerp district (168,049 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 8,730 ha) was formed in 1983 when the former municipalities of Berchem, Borgerhout, Deurne, Ekeren, Hoboken, Merksem and Wilrijk were merged with the former municipality of Antwerp, each of them becoming a district. The three former municipalities of Berendrecht, Zandvliet and Lillo, merged with Antwerp in 1958, were detached from the Antwerp district to form the Berendrecht-Zandvliet-Lillo district (aka Bezali).
Ivan Sache, 3 October 2008
The flag of the Antwerp district is prescribed in a Decree adopted on 17 May 2011 by the Municipal Council, (preliminary) approved on 18 February 2009 by the Flemish Heraldic Council, signed on 6 July 2009 by the Executive and published on 17 August 2011 in the Belgian official gazette.
The flag is swallow-tailed, horizontally divided red-white-red (1:3:1) with a bordure counterchanged.
Jan Mertens, 23 August 2011