Last modified: 2008-03-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: merchtem | lion (yellow) | gate (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Merchtem - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 4 February 2006
The municipality of Merchtem (15,053 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 3,672 ha) is located in the north-west corner of the province of Flemish Brabant, in the middle of the 15-km diameter circle Brussels-Dendermonde-Vilvorde. The municipality of Merchtem is made since 1974 of the former municipalities of Merchtem (2,086 ha), Brussegem (1,449 ha) and Hamme (136 ha).
The exact origin of the name of Merchtem is not known. The town
was mentioned in the past as Martinas, Merchetenen, Markedunum, etc.. Two possible meanings of its name are "the fort on the border" and "a place with a market". As early as the VIIth
century, Merchtem was located in a rich and crowdy area which
belonged to the Bishop of Cambrai.
In 1251, Merchtem was granted municipal rights by Duke of Brabant Henri III and the town developed around the market place. Later, Duke Anton of Burgundy allowed the establishement of a weavers' guild, causing the anger of the weavers from Brussels, who obtained its suppression in the XIVth century.
The development of Merchtem was linked to its location on
important roads. In the Roman times, the main way linking Bavay and
In 1561, the opening of the Brussels-Willebroek canal dramatically decreased the economical importance of Merchtem.
In the past, Merchtem mostly lived from agriculture. Starting around 1200, several grain watermills were built on the river Molenbeek (lit., "the mills' river"), including a communal mill. The Kouter windmill was built around 1400 by Peeter Pipenpoy. Between 1880 and 1906, Merchtem was a famous place for hen breeding, and two international exhibitions, both visited by King Leopold II and Prince Albrecht, were organized in the town. Since the end of the XIXth centuries, several breweries were set up in Merchtem, as well as diaries, clothing workshops etc.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 13 March 2004
The municipal flag of Merchtem is horizontally divided
white-red-white (1:2:1) with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
According to Gemeentewapens in België - Vlaanderen en Brussel, the flag was adopted by the Municipal Council on 23 February 1989, confirmed by the Executive of Flanders on 6 June 1989 and published in the Belgian official gazette on 8 November 1989.
The municipal website describes the flag as Drie banen van wit, van rood en van wit, hoogteverhouding 1 : 2 : 1, met op de middelste baan het gemeentewapen (Three [horizontal] white-red-white stripes, with proportions 1:2:1, with the municipal arms placed on the middle stripe).
The municipal coat of arms is officially described as follows:
In goud een uitkomende gekanteelde poort van keel, geopend van het veld, met een aangebouwde gekanteelde weermuur van keel die de schildranden raakt, beide gemetseld van het veld, de poort getopt met een omgewende banier van sabel met stok van goud en beladen met een leeuw van hetzelfde, geklauwd en getongd van keel.
This description is problematic in that the main field is said to be of gold, as well as the staff of the flag hoisted over the castle (stok van goud), which would make the staff not distinguishable from the field of the shield.
According to Servais, the municipal arms of Merchtem were granted in 1925. They are based on a seal of the local council dated 1336. The arms show a city wall, with a gate and on the gate a banner with the lion of Brabant. As said above, Merchtem was granted town rights in 1251 by Duke Henri III, an event symbolized by the arms of Brabant.
Ivan Sache & Pascal Vagnat, 4 February 2006