This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Zulte (Municipality, Province of East Flanders, Belgium)

Last modified: 2012-10-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: zulte |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Zulte]

Municipal flag of Zulte - Image by Filip van Laenen, 24 October 2001

See also:

Presentation of Zulte and its villages

The municipality of Zulte (14,629 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 3,252 ha) is located on the river Leie, 5 km north of Waregem, a town in West Flanders with which Zulte share the SV Zulte-Waregem football club. The municipality of Zulte is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Zulte (6,873 inh.; 1,004 ha), Machelen (4,113 inh.; 1,286 ha) and Olsene (3,581 inh.; 962 ha).

Zulte was mentioned for the first time as Sulta, a Germanic word meaning "a miry area". The domain of Zulte, ran by several families on behalf of the Count of Flanders, formed from the mid-13th to the mid-16th century a single domain with the village of Heestert (incorporated into Zwevegem in 1976).

Olsene was mentioned for the first time as Henglinium, another (latinized) Germanic word meaning "a hill" (see the Dutch words helling and heuvel). Olsene was a free domain; the Piers de Raveschoot family, lords of Olsene in the 16th century, played a significant part in the local political life.

Machelen, often called Machelen-an-der-Leie to distinguish it from the town of Machelen, located near Brussels, was mentioned for the first time as Magalium, yet another (latinized) Germanic word meaning "a powerful village". The domain of Machelen, ran by several families on behalf of the Count of Flanders, once formed a single domain with the village of Ayshove (Kruishoutem). Arnould I and Arnould II of Oudenaarde were nominal lords of Machelen around 1000, while their successors took the formal name of lords of Machelen in the 11th-12th centuries. Owned by the Jauche de Mastaing family in the 16th century, the domain was split into Machelen and Ayshove in 1523. The van der Meere family was the last owner of Machelen.
Machelen is the place of the Roger Raveel Museum. Born in the village in 1921, Raveel studied in Ghent under the guidance of Hubert Malfait and Jos Verdeghem and was introduced in the early 1950s by his friend Hugo Claus to the painters Karel Appel and Corneille, members of the CoBrA movement. Raveel worked in 1962 in Albisola Mare (Italy) with Lucio Fontana and Asger Jorn. His style evolved to a kind of abstraction based on organic, vegetal and animal life. In 1966-1967, he revamped the cellars of the castle of Beervelde, near Ghent, together with Etienne Elias, Raoul De Keyser and Reinier Lucassen. He then created several "painted objects" such as Illusiegroep (The illusion group) and Tuintje met karretje om the hemel te vervoeren (The small garden with the cart to transport the sky). His concern for environmental issues was expressed in installations such as De Zwanen van Bruggen (The swans of Bruges) and Raveel op de Leie (Raveel on the Leie). In 1990, Raveel commemorated the outbreak of the Second World War by pushing a painting mounted on wheels through the town of Brussels.
The symbol of Toerisme Leiestreek (Leie Region Tourist Service, founded 2000) is based on a painting by Roger Raveel, showing the red-and-white inland navigation flag called blokvlag. Raveel, however added a black lining to the white square.

Ivan Sache & Jan Mertens, 6 January 2008

Municipal flag of Zulte

The municipal flag of Zulte is quartered green-yellow.
According to Gemeentewapens in België - Vlaanderen en Brussel [w2v02a], the flag was adopted by the Municipal Council on 21 February 1985, confirmed by the Executive of Flanders on 7 May 1985 and published in the Belgian official gazette on 8 July 1986.
The colours of the flag are the main colours of the municipal arms, while the design of the flag recall the quartered, former arms of Zulte.

The municipal arms of Zulte are shown and described on the municipal website, as In sinopel (groen) drie aanziende hertenkoppen van goud. In azuur (blauw) drie omgekeerde moerbeibladeren in goud. Het schild getopt met een zwaan van zilver ("Vert an escutcheon blue charged with three mulberry leaves or surrounded by three deer's heads of the same. The shield surmounted by a swan argent").
The deer's heads come from the first quarter of the former arms of Zulte, granted by Royal Decree on 13 October 1819, after the arms of the Limnander family, last lords of the village (1715-1793).
The mulberry leaves come from the former arms of Machelen, once bore by the Van de Meere family, last owners of the village.
The swan comes from the former arms of Olsene, once bore by the Lanchais family, owner of the village in the 16th century.

Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 6 January 2008

SV Zulte-Waregem

"KSV (Koninklijk Sportvereniging) Waregem" was officially incorporated in 1951 as the successor of "Waereghem Sportif", originally incorporated in 1925, and of several subsequent clubs merged together. KSV Waregem won the Belgium Cup in 1974, 4-1 against KSK Tongeren. The club was suppressed in 2001 because of abyssal debts.
"Sportvereneging Zulte-Waregem" (SVZW) emerged the same year, as the former "Zultse Voetbalvereniging", the club originally formed in 1976 in the neighbouring town of Zulte as the successor of "Voetbalclub Zulte Sportief", originally founded in 1935, and of several subsequent clubs merged together. There was no formal merging with Waregem since "KSV Waregem" had disappeared, but the Zulte club moved to the "abandoned" Gaverbeek stadium of Waregem and changed its name accordingly.
SVZW won the Belgian Cup in 2006, 2-1 against Royal Excelsior Mouscron.

The main colours of the club are red and green; red and white were the colour of "KSV Warege"m (and of the town), and I guess that green and yellow were the colours of" Zultse VV" (and ot the town). The emblem of SVZW uses these four colours.
The "official" flag of SVZW, which can be purchased from the club for 9.95 € (size, 1 m x 1.5 m) is vertically divided red-green with a thin vertical yellow stripe in the middle and the emblem of the club.
The emblem of the club, bordered in yellow. is made of two interlaced, red and green, ovals and a red football ball, surmounted by a green- yellow-red rainbow, recalling the name of the stadium (Regenboogstadium, lit., "Rainbow Stadium"). There are red letterings:
- SV between the rainbow and the ovals;
- ZULTE WAREGEM / BEKERWINNAAR 2006 (Cup's Winner 2006) below the ovals.
This flag is shown several photographies on the club website, as hanging over the entrance of the stadium and waved by a row of young club's members when the players enter the field.
Another flag to be purchased from the club is the "KOMAAN ESSEVEE" supporter's flag, chequered green-red (5 x 8) with the motto in yellow letters, KOMAAN bordered red, ESSEVEE bordered green.

[Supporters' flag]     [Supporters' flag]     [Supporters' flag]     [Supporters' flag]     [Supporters' flag]

[Supporters' flag]     [Supporters' flag]     [Supporters' flag]     [Supporters' flag]     [Supporters' flag]

Supporterts' flags of SVZW - Images by Ivan Sache, 21 April 2008
Click on the flags to see larger images

Several supporters' flags are seen on the hundreds of photographies available on the club website, the most prevalent of them being:
- green with a red border, square;
- green with two thin red stripes on top and on bottom, retangular;
- quartered green-red, square;
- green with a thin red border, rectangular;
- horizontally divided red-green, rectangular;
- green with a red diamond, square;
- divided red-green by a descending diagonal, rectangular;
- horizontally divided white-green-white (thin stripe)-red-white;
- quartered red-green, rectangular;
- green with a thin red saltire, square.

Source: SVZW website

Ivan Sache, 21 April 2008