Last modified: 2008-04-05 by ivan sache
Keywords: staden |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Staden (10,995 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 4,624 ha) is located 15 km north-west of Roeselare. The municipality of Staden is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Staden (5,391 inh.; 2,543 ha), Oostnieuwkerke (3,422 inh.; 1,080 ha) and Westrozebeke (2,169 inh.; 1,000 ha).
Staden emerged in 1115, as Staten, on the brook Loobeek (aka
Luikebeek), in a region then covered with woods. Later names of the
village are Stathan (1127), Stades (1149) and eventually Staden (1185),
all probably meaning "a settlement".
The village belonged to the Country (Zale) of Ieper and, for a small part, to the Country (Vrije) of Bruges. Representing Ieper, the lords of Staden exercised higher, middle and lesser justice in the area.
During the First World War, the castle of Staden was used by the staff of the German army in Flanders; Feldmarshall von Hindenburg stayed there for a while. The castle was eventually destroyed in a British bombing on 13 July 1917.
Staden is located on the crossroads of two important roads, linking Ieper to Bruges and Menen to Oudenburg, respectively.
Oostnieuwkerke emerged in 1093 as Nieukerka, later changed to Neukerca (1110), Noua Ecclesia (1114), Nivvekerke (1122), Nieukerke (1244), Oostnieukerke (1383), Oostnieuwkercke (1773) and eventually Oostnieuwkerke (1836). The name of the village means "the eastern new church", referring most probably to the mother parish of Roeselare as the "old" church; "eastern" was added to differentiate the village from Nieuwkerke, a village located near Kemmel. Oostnieuwkerke was divided in several domains (up to 20) until the French Revolution. The "main" domain of Oostnieuwkerke had its own seal, while all other domains were mostly enclaves ran from outside the village.
Westrozebeke emerged in 1066 as Rosebecca, later changed to Rosbeka
(1187), Rousebeke (1200), Rosebeke (1290), West-Rousebeque (1652),
West-Roosebeke (1818), Westrosebeke (1828), Westroosebeke (1877) and
eventually Westrozebeke (1915). Rozebeke means "a brook" (beek) with
reeds. Here too, West (western), was added for differentiation from
In November 1382, the Flemish militia led by Filip van Artevelde were defeated in (West)rozebeke by Duke of Burgundy Philippe the Bold; the chronicles say that 20,000 out of the 50,000 Flemings were killed. This defeat ended the political independence of the big towns, place under the Burgundian rule. Our Lady of Westrozebeke has been venerated since the battle, when she surrounded the village with red threads, protecting it from the soldiers.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 24 November 2007
The municipal flag of Staden is red with three lion's heads with red
According to Gemeentewapens in België - Vlaanderen en Brussel, the flag was adopted by the Municipal Council on 20 September 1984, confirmed by the Executive of Flanders on 3 December 1984 and published in the Belgian official gazette on 8 July 1986.
The flag is a banner of the municipal arms, excuding the crown and supporters.
Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 24 November 2007