Last modified: 2008-01-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: la hulpe | terhulpen | crescents: 3 (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of La Hulpe - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 13 January 2007
The municipality of La Hulpe (in Dutch, Terhulpen; 7,309 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 1,556 ha, including the whole beech forest of Soignes, 300 ha) is located 20 km south-east of Brussels.
The name of La Hulpe comes from the Celtic word helpe, "the silver river". The brooks that watered La Hulpe, forming a nice string of ponds, is called today L'Argentine. The site was already settled 10,000 years BC, as proved by an axe made of smooth flintstone found in Gaillemarde. The village was actually founded by the Duke of Brabant by clearing a hill separating the valleys of Argentine and Mazerine. La Hulpe still keeps two hamlets, Gaillemarde in the west and Malaise-Bakenbos in the east. The limits of the latter hamlet and of other parts of La Hulpe were modified when the linguistic border (between French and Dutch) was fixed in 1963. La Hulpe was granted municipal rights by a chart signed by Henri I on 3 June 1320. It became a mairie, where lower and higher justice was exercized, and kept its status until 1792. The pillory standing near the church was demolished under the French rule; it was partially restored and can be seen in the town hall. From 1795 to 1814, La Hulpe was the seat of a court with jurisdiction over some ten neighbouring municipalities, in an area spreading from Overijse to Waterloo. After the independence of Belgium, La Hulpe lost its administrative and political functions and was incorporated into the canton of Wavre.
The church of La Hulpe was mentioned in a document dated 1226. It is shown on the oldest representation of La Hulpe, a Brussels tapestry kept in the Louvre Museum in Paris, entitled "Maximilian's Hunting", indeed showing a hunting scene in Charles V's time. The church, except the tower and the central nave, were dramatically transformed, for the last time in 1906. The King Baudouin's Memorial was built behind the church, close to the oak commemorating the centenary of Belgium.
For three centuries, the economy of La Hulpe has been driven by paper-making industry, favoured by the closeness to Brussels and the availabilty of pure water. The first paper mill was set up on the Grand Etang (Big Pond). In 1664, King of Spain Philip II allowed the foundation of the "Imperial and Royal Paper Manufacture" in La Hulpe. Paper-making industry was suppressed in 1970.
The castle of La Hulpe, built in French style in 1842, was purchased by
Count Ernest Solvay in 1893 and transfered to the Belgian state by his
grand-son, Ernest-John Solvay, in 1968. It is surrounded by a 227-ha
domain with pastures, woods and ponds, known as Domaine Solvay. The
castle and the domain are today managed by the Walloon Region and the
Domaine Solvay association. The domain was protected for its aesthetic
value by Royal Decree on 10 June 1963, then registered on the Walloon
main heritage list in 1993, and eventually listed as a Natura 2000
site. In 1988, the movie Le Maître de musique (The Music Teacher) by
Gérard Corbiau, starring José Van Dam, was made in the castle and park
of La Hulpe.
The farm of the castle, built in 1833, is the seat of the Folon Foundation, inaugurated on 27 October 2000. Jean-Michel Folon (1934-2005) is mostly known as one of the most popular illustrators and poster designers of the second half of the XXth century. Folon published his drawings in newspapers, mostly in the USA, where he was recognized earlier than in Europe and illustrated books by Franz Kafka, Ray Bradbury, Jorge Luis Borges, Guillaume Apollinaire, Jacques Prévert, Boris Vian, Guy de Maupassant, Albert Camus, Herbert George Wells and Jean de la Fontaine. He never really changed his style, whose most famous emblem is the "bird-man" but used all kinds of supports; Folon made murals (Magic City for the Brussels subway, 1974; Waterloo Station for the London tube, 1975), posters for theater and opera (Spoleto Festival, 1978; Teatro Olimpicio, 1987) and cinema (The Purple Rose of Cairo, by Woody Allen, 1985), theater and opera scenery (Geneva and Brussels, 1981; Venice and Roma, 1989), short films for TV (opening and closing sections for the French channel Antenne2, 1975-1984), wooden sculptures, logotypes (Bicentenary of the French Revolution, 1989; Philexfrance, 1989), tapestries (Congress Hall of Monaco, 1989), ships (1990), church windows (1992), sculptures (La mer, ce grand sculpteur, Knokke, 1997), and even a Palio flag (Sienna, 1999). His artistic value was recognized by several exhibitions organized in the most famous galleries and museums in the world (Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris, 1971; Arts Club of Chicago, 1972; Boymans-van Beuningen Museum, Rotterdam, 1976; Musée d'Art Moderne de Liège, 1978; Musée Picasso, Antibes, 1984; Correr Museum, Venice, 1985; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1990; La Pedrera, Barcelona, 1993; Bunkamura Museum, Tokyo, 1995; Olympic Museum, Lausanne, 1996).
In the 1990s, Folon decided to create a foundation in the Solvay Domain, a place where he used to play when he was a young boy. He transfered to the foundation more than 300 of his works and organized their scenographic presentation in 15 rooms of the former farm. The foundation welcomed 80,000 visitore during its first year of existence.
Another famous inhabitant of La Hulpe was the first Belgian aviator,
Baron Pierre de Caters (1875-1944), whose estate is called today Domaine
de Nysdam. Caters was fond of car and motorboat races; in 1908, he
purchased his first triplane from Voisin, followed by at least five
Voisin biplanes. In 1909-1910, he flew in air shows all over Europe
(Monaco, Douai, Ostende, Francfort, Berlin, Antwerp, Warsaw, Athens,
St. Job-in-'t Goor, Johannisthal, Montdorf, Budapest, Dusseldorf and
Stockel) and founded the Aviator company in order to produce the
Aviatik biplanes under a Farman licence. In 1910, along with Jules
Tyck, he shipped two Aviator biplanes and a Blériot monoplane to India.
On 21 December 1910, he flew in Tollygunj for 27 minutes with Mrs. Sen
Beil, the Kuchbehar Maharajah's sister, as his passenger. On 2 February
1911, the two pilots flew in Bangalore in the presence of the Mysore
Maharajah. Back to Europe, Caters dissolved the Aviator company and
abandoned airshows. During the First World War, he joined the Air Force
and commanded the flying school of Etampes, near Paris, where he
retired in 1916. Caters was celebrated in March 1937 during the
inauguration of the Belgian Vieilles Tiges section.
Caters holds several records: he was the first Belgian aviator (Sin't Job-in't-Goor, November 1909), the first Belgian licensed pilot (Aéro-Club de Belgique, 2 December 1909), kilometer gold medal awardee in 1909, the first Belgian aircraft manufacturer and the first instructor of the emerging Belgian Air Force.
Sources: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 13 January 2007
The municipal flag of La Hulpe is vertically divided green-white-green
(1:2:1) with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
According to Armoiries communales en Belgique. Communes wallonnes, bruxelloises et germanophones, the Vexillology and Heraldry Council of the French Community proposed this flag as Trois laizes transversales, verte, blanche et verte, la laize blanche deux fois aussi large que les vertes et chargée au centre de l'écu de la commune.
Arnaud Leroy, Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 13 January 2007