This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ghent (Belgium): Watersports clubs

Last modified: 2009-02-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: ghent | watersports clubs | deinze | letters: mycg (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Gentse Roei- en Sportvereniging

Founded in 1965, Gentse Roei- en Sportvereniging (Ghent Rowing and Sports Club) is a rowing and sports club with its seat near the Watersportbaan. The club has something to offer for everyone but is especially proud of its international results, including placing Olympic finalists, which is, after all, not a small matter for a relatively young club in a small country.
The GRS burgee, as shown on a photography, is a large pennant, horizontally divided black-white-black (the Ghent colours), with on the white stripe crossed black-and-white oars (near the hoist) and large black initials "GRS" (no serifs) distributed evenly. Directly under the oars appears the founding year "1965", in white on the lower black stripe.

Source: GRS website

Jan Mertens, 25 May 2007

Koninklijke Gentse Watersport Vereniging

[KGWV burgee]

Burgee of KGWV - Image by Ivan Sache, 15 June 2002

The KGWV burgee is made of two red triangles placed vertically along the hoist and a yellow lozenge. The lozenge does not reach the hoist of the burgee.

Source: KGWV website

Ivan Sache, 15 June 2002

Koninklijke Roeivereniging Sport Gent

The Koninklijke Roeivereniging Sport Gent (Royal Rowing Club Sport Ghent), situated at the Watersportbaan since 1961, is housed in a large clubhouse and adjacent buildings. Founded in 1883 as Sport Nautique de Gand, the club started out modestly but was a founding member of the first Belgian rowing confederation four years later.
In 1898 the first flag, in the new colours blue and white, was presented to the club (the initial club colours were black and white). Two years later a different flag, light blue with white lettering "Sport Nautique de Gand 1883" was adopted at the request of the Belgian rowing federation in order to differentiate the club from the local Cercle des Régates.
Around 1890 SNG had become the foremost rowing club in Belgium and international successes would follow. The royal appellation, Société Royale de Sport Nautique de Gand, was granted in 1907 after a resounding victory at Henley; use of the French language was a sign of the times.
After the Second World War, the club was active in promoting the Watersportbaan, finished and dedicated in 1955. In 1964 a new name was adopted, Koninklijke Roeivereniging "Sport Nautique" Gent, and put on the new flag presented in 1971; three years later the current name, now completely Dutch, was introduced.

A photography shows the KRSG burgee, with light blue triangles defining a white field (at hoist est. 3:1:3, white in centre) bearing a red royal crown. Another photography shows a very unusual rendering of the crown, red with yellow holding lines.

Source: KRSG website

Jan Martens, 30 May 2007

Leiensnelvaarders - Gent

Leiesnelvaarders (Fast Motor Boaters on the River Leie), founded in 1963, is a club established at Drongen near Ghent; a number of places such as Antwerp and Bruges, not to mention nearby Zeeland are easily reached by inland waterways.
The LSV burgee, as "shown" on a photography, is yellow with a dark blue triangle and the white letters "LSV" placed vertically in the blue triangle.

Jan Mertens, 14 January 2007

Motor Yacht Club Gent

[MYCG burgee]

Burgee of MYCG - Image by António Martins, 17 January 2009

Motor Yacht Club Gent (MYCG) has two berthing harbours at its disposal, one at Deinze on the river Leie, the other at Ghent on the Gordunakaai. There is no clubhouse but the club boat, the 1915 built and refurbished Jonita KR 47 functions as one.

The burgee of MYCG, as seen on photographies of the club boat, is horizontally divided white-blue-white with the seriffed white letters "MYCG".
The club emblem incorporates the name, an anchor and the burgee without the letters.

Jan Mertens, 27 July 2007

Vereniging Veteranen Roeiers

Vereniging Veteranen Roeiers (VVR), yet another watersports club established at Ghent, caters to, as the name says, veteran rowers. The club, founded in 1980 and at first called "Vlaamse Veteranen Roeiers" (till 1984), grew out of the Veterans Scullers and Oarsmen of Belgium, itself founded in 1960 and which now unites the Dutch and French-speaking veteran rowers' clubs, VVR and AVA.
Having enjoyed the hospitality of GRS (till 1985) and KRSG (till 2002), VVR is now on its own near the Watersportbaan.

The VVR logotype, is recatngular, blue with the yellow letters "VVR" (the second "V" much larger) placed in front of two yellow oars with black, blue, and red chevrons (counting from the top to bottom) on the blades; there are three yellow five-pointed stars placed vertically between those oars and above the central "V"; the whole is enclosed by yellow laurel leaves.
A flag used in a boat dedication ceremony, similar to the logotype, is shown on the image gallery of the VVR website (image no longer online).

Jan Martens, 1 July 2007