This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Estiva, Minas Gerais (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-03-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: minas gerais | estiva |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag of Estiva, Minas Gerais image by Dirk Schönberger, 29 June 2010
Source: http://www.estiva.mg.gov.br/simbolos.html


See also:

About the Flag

Horizontal tricolor, white-light blue-white, 1-2-1, with a central white disk bearing the municipal shield.

Official website at http://www.estiva.mg.gov.br
Dirk Schönberger, 29 June 2010

The municipality of Estiva (10,844 inhabitants in 2010; 245 sq. km) is located in south-southwestern Minas Gerais, 400 km of Belo Horizonte.

Estiva was first settled in 1757 by Domingos Soares. A chapel dedicated to the Blessed Virgin was built in 1843 by Rosa Maria Lopes, a rich and pious widow who had settled in Estiva in 1810. In 1853, João Pereira dos Reis, Luís Pereira dos Reis, Antônia Pereira dos Reis, Joaquim Etelvino Pereira, José Ribeiro Pereira, José Teodoro Pereira, Francisco Ferreira Pereira and João Galdino Pereira, the heirs of the Estiva estate, donated on 6 February 1855 55 ha of land to build what would be the town of Estiva. The district of Capela de Nossa Senhora Aparecida, part of the municipality of Pousada Alegre, was established by Provincial Law No. 877 of 8 June 1858 and renamed Estiva in 1923. The municipality of Estiva was established by State Law No. 336 of 27 December 1948 and inaugurated on 1 January 1949. The district of Pāntano, part of Estiva, was established by State Law No. 1,039 of 12 December 1953 and inaugurated on 13 June 1954.

The symbols of Estiva are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 6 of 1 September 1976. The escutcheon placed in the middle of the flag is not the municipal coat of arms but the coat of arms of the Pereira family. This coat of arms also appears as an escutcheon on the municipal arms, more complex and irrelevant here. The central emblem should be similarly represented on the tow sides of the flag. Celeste blue and snowy white are the original colors of the cloak of the Blessed Virgin, the patron saint of Estiva under the name of Nossa Senhora Aparecida (Our Lady of the Apparition). Blue (azure) is the heraldic symbol of justice, nobleness, perseverance, incorruptible firmness, dignity, vigilance, zeal, loyalty, beauty and perfection. White (argent) is the symbol of peace, friendship, innocence, beauty, felicity, integrity, equity, truth...
http://www.estiva.mg.gov.br/simbolos.html
Ivan Sache, 4 February 2012