Last modified: 2012-03-17 by ian macdonald
Keywords: minas gerais | jaboticatubas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Dirk Schönberger, 12 July 2010
A white flag with a narrow red-white-blue borders, and the municipal arms centred.
Official site at
The flag is shown on Wikipedia at http://www.jaboticatubas.com.br/bandeira.html
Dirk Schönberger, 11 July 2010
The municipality of Jaboticatubas (17,119 inhabitants in 2010; 1,114 sq. km)
is located in the Belo Horizonte Metropolitan Region, 60 km of Belo Horizonte.
The municipal territory includes 65% of the total area of the Serra do Cipó
National Park. It is made of the town of Jabuticabas proper and of the
districts of Baldim (established in 1948) and Riacho Fundo (est. in
Jaboticatubas was colonized in the 18th century by monks form the Macaúbas monastery. The monks' property rights were confirmed in 1791 by Queen Mary of Portugal. In 1753, the farmer Manuel Gomes da Mota built a chapel around which a settlement quickly developed, made in 1878 the district of Ribeirão de Jaboticatubas. The municipality of Jaboticatubas was established by State Law No. 148 of 17 December 1938, seceding from the municipality of Santa Luzia. The municipality is named for the jabuticaba (Myrciaria cauliflora (Mart.) O. Berg), aka Brazilian grape tree. Native to Minas Gerais, the tree produces grape-like fruits eaten raw or transformed into jelly, juice or wine. The name was originally given to the river watering the place, whose banks were crowded with jabuticabas. "Jaboticatubas" is the old written form of the tree's name, today superseded by the shorter form " jabuticaba".
The flag of Jaboticatubas is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 792 of 12 August 1985. The shield is in Portuguese shape, surmounted with an eight-towered mural crown argent, representing a 2nd rank town, seat of a county ("comarca"). The red open doors of the towers stand for cordiality, welcome and hospitality. The nave [?] in the blue field and the fleur-de-lis on the mural crown symbolize the patron saint of the town, Our Lady of the Conception. The golden star represents the Town of Jaboticatubas, the red triangle represents Minas Gerais, and the silver star represents the District of São José de Almeida. The rising sun symbolizes renovation, activity and field work. The three mountains partially represent the Serra do Cipó, the Serra da Lagoa Dourada and the Serra da Contagem. At the foot of the mountains stand three "jabuticabas" plants with fruit the namesake of the municipality. In base a silver black-hatched wavy fess represent the rivers and waterfalls of the region. Below, three silver black-hatched disks represent the lakes of the region. The silver scroll placed under the shield is inscribed with the town's name and the years "1790" (emergence of the settlement) and "1938" (political and administrative emancipation). The shield is flanked dexter with a banana branch, recalling that the municipality is the main producer of banana in Minas Gerais, and sinister with an "ipé" tree (Tabebuia sp.), characteristic of the local flora.
Ivan Sache, 5 February 2012