Last modified: 2012-03-17 by ian macdonald
Keywords: paraíba | pocinhos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
13 April 2011
Vertically divided white and blue-green, with a large red-edged yellow triangle, centerd, bearing local symbols.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 13 April 2011
The municipality of Pocinhos (17,032 inhabitants in 2010; 630 sq. km) is
located in central Paraíba, 150 km of João Pessoa. Pocinhos was founded in
1815 as a chapel built by José Ayres Pereira in a place known beforehand as
Olho díÁgua do Bravo or Olho díÁgua de Bárbara Maria. The former name of the
place (lit. "Water Eye") refers to a well ("poço") discovered in 1762 by the
cowboys in the service of José Ayres Pereira' s father, Dionísio Gomes
Pereira, a colonist from Pernambuco. Pocinhos was the name under which the
place was known by everyone in the region, therefore the change in the name
of the place. Pocinhos was made a district part of the municipality of
Campina Grande by Provincial Law No. 569 of 30 September 1874. State Law No.
520 of 31 December 1943 changed the name of the place to Joffily. The
municipality of Pocinhos was established by State Law No. 986 of 10 December
1953 and inaugurated on 21 December 1953.
The flag of Pocinhos was designed by Ronaldo Porto de Araújo and Bismarck Martins de Oliveira. Oddly enough, it appears to be a mirrored banner of the arms of Pocinhos, imagined by Mayor Arthur Galdino and designed by Mikaël Rudney, prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,184 of 5 April 2011. The cross of Calvary in the base of the triangle represents the Christian faith of the inhabitants. The branches of cotton and the leaf of sisal represent two plants of local significance.
More specifically, the cross of Calvary seems to be Dom Adauto's Calvary, inaugurated on 7 January 1919 as a tribute to His Grace ("Dom") Adauto A. de Miranda Henriques (1855-1935), the first Bishop (1894) and Archbishop (1914) of Paraíba. The Diocese of Paraíba was established in 1892 by Pope Leon XIII.
Ivan Sache, 10 February 2012