This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Paranaguá, Paraná (Brazil)

Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | paranagua | cross (yellow) | crosses: 4 | cross: christ knights | caravel | ship | lozenge |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Paranaguá, PR (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 6 February 2022

See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Paranaguá (157,378 inhabitants in 2021; 82,667 ha) is located 100 km east of Curitiba.
Paranaguá is located on the southern shore of the Bay of Paranaguá, aka to the natives as Pernaguá or Parnaguá, the Great Round Sea.

Paranaguá was first settled in 1550, when Cotinga island was used as base by gold seekers. The settlers progressively moved to the banks of the bay. Vila de Nossa Senhora do Rocio de Paranaguá was established in 1648, to be elevated the seat of a captaincy in 1660.
Established the Captaincy of Paraná Ports after the setup of the province of Paraná, Paranaguá was visited in 1880 by Emperor Pedro II, who laid down the cornerstone of the railway station. Eventually inaugurated on 2 February 1885, the station was a great national pride.
Port Dom Pedro II, established in 1935, became South America's second exporting port and first for grain exports.
Municipal website

The flag and arms of Paranaguá are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 642 promulgated on 4 September 1967.

Article 1.
Coat of arms of Paranaguá

I. Heraldic description
The coat of arms shall consist of a Samnite shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent. On a field vert wavy argent, a sailing caravel argent outlined sable, bearing the Cross of Christ gules on the sails. On a chief azure, the profile of an island and a rising heraldic sun all or. The shield supported dexter by a sugarcane proper and sinister by a branch of coffee proper, crossed in base and superimposed by a scroll gules containing in letters argent the toponym "PARANAGUÁ" and the date "26 July 1648".

II. Symbols
The Samnite shield used to represent the arms of Paranaguá was the first style of shield introduced in Portugal by French influence, evoking here the Latin colonizing race and the main builder of Brazilian nationality.
The mural crown that surmounts it is the universal symbol of domains' coats of arms; argent with eight towers, only five of them visible in perspective view, it classifies a 2nd rank town, that is, the seat of a county.
The sea and the caravel bearing the Cross of Christ on the sails are evocative of the past, recalling the time of colonization, when the Portuguese caravels came to the Bay of Paranaguá bearing the Cross of Christ, the cross of Portuguese navigators, an event that predated everything in the historical evolution of our country.
Blue (azure) is the heraldic symbol of victory, honor, courtesy, civility and joy. Argent is a symbol of friendship, fairness, peace, work, innocence and purity. Blue (azure) is a symbol of justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal and loyalty. Or is a symbol of power, wealth, splendor, greatness and command. Red (gules) symbolizes intrepidity, courage, audacity, and bravery. Accordingly, the set of colors does not lack anything iconographically representing the nature of the people of Paranaguá, their ideals of nobleness and integrity, as well as vigilance of our historical traditions and our democratic institutions.
Besides the historical imperative that guided the heraldic elaboration of the Paranaguá arms, there is also a need to consider the heraldic analysis of the charges represented in the field.
The sea, heraldically represented, as always in the shield's base, and agitated, represents disdain or restless spirits; if it is calm, as in the case of the arms of Paranaguá, it means curbed anger, benignity or liberality.
The caravel represents a "strong spirit", which resists the most serious dangers of war and the adversity of life.
The sun is a symbol of glory, eternity, fame, unity and truth.

Appendix II
Flag of Paranaguá

I. Description
Quartered by a cross, the quarters forming equal rectangles, green, each charged with a red Cross of Christ in the center, the cross consisting of four yellow stripes starting from a central white lozenge where the coat of arms is applied.

II. Rationale end symbols
In accordance with the tradition of Portuguese heraldry, from which we inherited the canons and rules, the municipal flags can be divided in eight, four or three parts, having the same colors as those used in the shield field and bearing the town's coat of arms in the center.
The flag of Paranaguá observes this general rule, being quartered; the coat of arms in the center represents the municipal government (Executive and Legislative) while the lozenge where it is applied symbolizes the town as the seat of the municipality.
The quarters symbolize the rural properties existing in the municipality while the stripes represents the municipal power spreading to all parts of the territory.
The cross of Christ applied to the quarters perpetuates on the flag the first symbol to wave in Brazilian lands.
Leis Municipais database

Municipal Law No. 906 promulgated on 23 March 1973 added the usual legal prescriptions of use without changing the description of the symbols, which is not repeated.
Leis Municipais database

Complementary Municipal Law No. 146 promulgated on 14 December 2012 changed some prescriptions, reproducing the descriptions of the symbols, word by word, in Appendixes I (coat of arms) and II (coat of arms).
Leis Municipais database

The first flag of Paranaguá was established by Municipal Law no. 188 promulgated on 29 July 1910, which was "reactivated" by Municipal Law No. 17 promulgated on 16 July 1948.

Article 2.
A green rectangle divided into two equal triangles by a white stripe charged in the center with a blue sphere inscribed "PARANAGUÁ" in a semi-circular pattern.
Leis Municipais database

The new Constitution promulgated on 10 November 1937 in the aftermath of the 1930 Revolution abolished the symbols of the Brazilian states and municipalities. The next Constitution, promulgated in September 1946, re-established them. Several towns re-adopted their original symbols.


Ivan Sache, 6 February 2022