Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | cascavel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
A white flag bearing the municipal arms centred.
The municipality of
Cascavel (289,339 inhabitants in 2010, therefore the 5th most populous
municipality in Paraná; 210,107 ha) is the capital of West Paraná, being located
500 km of Curitiba.
The local tradition claims that the town was named for rattlesnake ("cascavel"). A group of early colonists allegedly coined the name after having found a big rattlesnake nest near a river.
Cascavel was settled in the late 1910s by colonists from São Paulo exploiting yerba mate. On 28 March 1928, José Silvério de Oliveira established a shop at the junctions of trails used by yerba mate collectors and tropeiros, which was the first step into the growth of the village. In the 1930s, timber exploitation superseded yerba mate collection, causing the immigration of several families from Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul. Most colonists were of Polish, German and Italian origin.
After the exhaustion of timber resource, Cascavel turned to agriculture, aviculture and cattle-breeding, still the main sources of income. Named Cascavel in 1936, the new village was renamed Aparecida dos Portos by priest Guilherme Maria Thiletzek, gaining no support from the inhabitants. Accordingly, the district of Cascavel, part of Foz de Iguaçu, was established by Municipal Law No. 7,573 of 20 October 1938. The municipality of Cascavel was established on 14 December 1951, but the Law was signed by the State Governor only on 14 December 1952. Municipal Law No. 5,689 of 20 December 2010 prescribes the official date of foundation of Cascavel as 14 December 1952.
The flag of Cascavel is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 5,225 promulgated on 22 May 2009.
The municipality of Cascavel adopts as official the present-day's provisory flag of the municipality.
The flag of the municipality of Cascavel shall have the official dimensions prescribed for the national flag. White, charged in the center with the coat of arms of the municipality of Cascavel prescribed by Law No. 243 promulgated in 1963.
The municipality of Cascavel adopts blue and white as its official colors.
The coat of arms of Cascavel is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 243 promulgated on 6 August 1963.
Coat of arms of Cascavel.
A modern shield azure surmounted by a four-towered mural crown, proper to municipalities. Scroll.
Description of the arms.
A rattlesnake or surmounted by a crown of the same surrounded by two stars in pale on each side. A bordure argent.
Explanation of the arms.
Azure is a symbol of justice and vigilance, exerted by Cascavel's constitutive powers for the interest of a town that grows through work and people's nobleness.
The rattlesnake ["cascavel"] that makes the arms canting is or, emphasizing a rich and generous town and a solid economy.
The crown or represents the town's patron saint, Our Lady of the Apparition, who protects the religious spirit and prosperity of Cascavel's people.
The four stars argent are a symbol of peace, purity, integrity and mildness exerted by Cascavel's people in the development of their activities, always safe and firm in the possibilities offered by the town.
The shield's bordure recalls rivers Piquiri and Iguaçu, whose water fertilizes the municipality's soil, fostering abundant harvests.
The scroll vert recalls that Cascavel's soil allows the cultivation of various crops, fostering abundant harvests.
The word "Cascavel" on the scroll recalls that in the municipality all are united for common well-being and progress of the town.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 1 February 2022