Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | chopinzinho |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Chopinzinho (19,254 inhabitants in 2019; 95,930 ha) is
located 400 km south-west of Curitiba.
Chopinzinho was established, as the military colony of Chopim, by Decree No. 2,502 signed on 16 November 1859 by Emperor Pedro II. The colony's main task was the defense of Southwest Paraná against Argentinean claim. The colony was actually founded on 27 December 1882 by Colonel Francisco Clementino de Santiago Dantas.
Chopim was transferred on 30 April 1909 to civil administration by the municipality of Palmas. The district of Chopim was established, as part of the municipality of Mangueirinha, by Law No. 1,955 promulgated on 26 March 1920. The municipality of Chopinzinho was established by State Law No. 253 promulgated on 14 December 1955.
Chopinzinho / Chopim was named for the "chupim" / "copim" bird, very common in the region at the time of establishment of the colony. The bird is known in English as shiny cowbird (Molothrus bonariensis, Gmelin, 1789)
The flag of Chopinzinho is divided red over green by a white reduced bend sinister, with a yellow shield bearing a sword and wreath in the canton.
Ivan Sache, 1 February 2022