Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | fênix |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Fênix (4,802 inhabitants in 2010; 22,437 h) is located
430 km north-west of Curitiba.
Fênix was named for the mythical phoenix bird, as a means to establish an historical connection between the new town and the old Spanish town of Villa Rica del Espiritu Santo, established in 1598 by Captain Guzman, as the administrative center of colonial missions in Guairá province. In 1632, the town was besieged by Portuguese pioneers. After three months, most of the inhabitants left the town for the western bank of river Paraná and the Guairá province went under Portuguese control.
In 1770, Louis Mourão, governor of the Captaincy of São Paulo, sent an expedition commanded by Francisco Lopes de Silva to explore Paraná. The explorer concluded that re-colonization of the region would be impossible.
In 1896, General Muricy organized a new expedition in search of Villa Rica and the alleged treasures accumulated by Jesuit missions. Nothing was found but ruins and feral mules.
State Law No. 48 promulgated in 1948 granted protection to 10 areas considered as the remains of "Jesuit missions", Villa Rica included. Villa Rica and Guairá include Spanish colonial ruins, while Villa Rica is the only site incorporated into a State Park.
The modern town of Fênix was established in 1949 by Engineer Joaquim Vicente de Castro, who had received in 1932 a vast territory as payment for road constructions contracted on 5 August 1928 with the government of Paraná.
The district of Fênix was established, as part of the the municipality of Campo Mourão, by State Law No. 5,467 promulgated on 6 January 1955, to be elevated a municipality by State Law No. 4,245 promulgated on 25 July 1960. The municipality was inaugurated on 3 November 1961.
The flag of Fênix is green with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
Green represents coffee.
The coat of arms of Fênix is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 6 promulgated on 16 February 1975.
The shield is in Portuguese style.
The castle symbolizes municipal power and authority.
"27-5-60" is the date of inauguration of the municipality.
The six star represents the Phoenix constellation.
The teaching Jesuit recalls the extinct catechist settlement Vila Rica do Espirito Santo.
The fess wavy represents river Ivaí.
The legendary phoenix bird, according to Greek mythology, lived for many years and was born again from its own ashes.
The maize plant represents one of the municipality's sources of income.
The motto "Eternal phoenix in time and space" highlights the creation of the coat of arms as the municipality's perpetual symbol.
Gray / argent is a symbol of glee, victory, beauty and candor.
Red is a symbol of greatness, audacity and valor.
Blue is a symbol of joy, knowledge, loyalty and clarity.
Green is a symbol of renovated hope and liberty.
Or is a symbol of fire, justice, faith, force and constancy.
Ivan Sache, 2 February 2022