Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | joaquim távora |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Joaquim Távora (10,735 inhabitants in 2010; 28,917 ha) is
located 340 km north of Curitiba.
Joaquim Távora was established in 1915 within Fazenda Jaboticabal, owned by brothers João and Job Ayres (Miguel) Dias. Miguel Dias, first political leader of the district, then called Afonso Camargo for President (~Governor) of Paraná Afonso Alves de Camargo (1873-1945; in office, 1916-1920 and 1928-1930), grown in 1929 up to 30,000 coffee trees.
The municipality of Afonso Camargo was established by State Law No. 2,6445 promulgated on 10 April 1929, separating from Santo Antonio da Platina. The municipality was renamed by Decree No. 332 promulgated on 6 November 1930 for Lieutenant Joaquim do Nascimento Fernandes Távora (1881-1924), one of the leaders of the Paulista Revolt that broke out in São Paulo in June 1924, who was killed during a fighting. At the same time, the Afonso Camargo railway station was renamed to Getúlio Dornelles Vargas.
The flag of Joaquim Távora is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 400 (date of promulgation and text not available).
The basic, green and yellow colors symbolize the Brazilian homeland.
The coat of arms of the municipality, in the colors of the state, green and white, is inscribed in a yellow triangle.
The equilateral triangle represents the union of Joaquim Távora's people, while its yellow color represents wealth and ownership.
The flag of the municipality conveys a general concept, "United for a prosperous municipality".
The coat of arms of Joaquim Távora is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 397 (date of promulgation and text not available).
The shield is surmounted by a five-towered mural crown, as a symbol of a town.
The field in green and white symbolizes the state to which the municipality belongs.
Ivan Sache, 3 February 2022