Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | santa maria do oeste |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Santa Maria do Oeste (11,497 inhabitants in 2010; 84,714 ha)
is located 360 km west of Curitiba.
Santa Maria do Oeste was established on 18 December 1920 by Francisco Mendes Teixeira (Chico Velho) and his son, Francisco Teixeira dos Santos (Chico Novo). Chico Velho acquired a vast domain left unsettled by its owner, Manoel Pereira, and divided it in smaller plots sold to European colonists. The emerging settlement was known as Campina de Santa Maria. Chico Novo built a first church in late 1920, and, subsequently, a first shop that soon supplied all colonists and landlords of the region.
The municipality of Santa Maria do Oeste was established by State Law No. 9,320 promulgated on 11 July 1990, separating from Pitanga, and inaugurated on 1 January 1993.
The flag of Santa Maria do Oeste is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 37 promulgated on 30 December 1993.
The flag of the municipality of Santa Maria do Oeste shall be rectangular, in proportions 14 units in width on 20 units in length, pursuant to Article 5 of Federal Law No. 5,700 promulgated on 1 September 1971.
The flag of the municipality of Santa Maria do Oeste was designed by Mrs. Gladir Pecciani de Godoy, with the following characteristics.
a) The flag is composed of a quadrilateral and two rectangles in different dimensions. The quadrilateral at upper hoist, white, inscribes a figure composed of two superimposed and interlaced triangles, with respective vertices pointing upwards and downwards, in green and red colors.
b) The lesser rectangle contains four horizontal equal stripes, starting from the top, green, white, red, and white.
c) The greater rectangle contains five horizontal equal stripes covering the flag's length, green, white, red, white and green.
Ivan Sache, 10 February 2022