Last modified: 2008-08-09 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | quarai | triband: diagonal (blue | red | green) | coat of arms | fairy | oval (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Joseph McMillan
Adopted 24 June 1971
The flag of Quaraí was adopted by law no. 529 of 24 June 1971. It consists
of three sections, blue, red, and green. The blue and green form right
triangles and the red a parallelogram ascending between the two triangles.
On the center is a vertical white ellipse with the coat of arms on it. The
coat of arms was adopted by law no. 400 of 21 December 1964. The shield is
blue, with blue and white water in base, green hills above that, and a red
peak above the hills, with a teiniaguá (apparently a mythical creature similar to
a fairy) from a local legend of Salamanca of Jarau, having
between its raised arms a Southern Cross (Cruzeiro do Sul) of five white stars.
The shield is ensigned with a silver mural crown of five towers. The green
scroll is inscribed with the name of the municipality between the dates 1820
and 1875, all in gold. The coat of arms was conceived by Moysés Velinho,
heraldically designed by Tasso Corrêa and drawn by Nelson Boeira Faedrich.
Joseph McMillan, 17 March 2003