Last modified: 2020-07-12 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | andré da rocha |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
The municipality of André de Rocha (1,286 inhabitants in 2007, therefore the
third least populated municipality in Rio Grande do Sul; 32,974 ha) is located
160 km north of Porto Alegre.
André de Rocha was first settled in 1840 by Bernardo Fialho de Vargas, from Taquari, owner of the Prata farm; his neighbor was João Mariano Pimentel, owner of the São José farm. Threatened by the Indians, Vargas sold his domain to Manoel Pereira Vieira, who died in 1902, aged 85. At the time, the farm was renamed to Vieiras farm. Other pioneers were Joaquim Antonio Fernandes and João de Souza Dias, first owner of the São Crispim farm, localized in Chimarrão.
The district of André de Rocha was established within Lagoa Vermelha by Law No. 32 promulgated on 8 November 1904, then counting eight inhabitants and a chapel. The district was named after Manuel André de Rocha (1860-1942), judge at the Commerce Court of Lagoa Vermelha, who pushed the establishment of the district. André de Rocha was subsequently appointed President of the Court of Justice of Rio Grande do Sul. He served also as the first Rector of the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, creating the Faculty of Law.
The foundation of a dairy products factory fostered the development of the settlement, then colloquially known as Fábrica (Factory).
The municipality of André de Rocha was established on 12 May 1988.
Ivan Sache, 11 July 2020
The municipal flag of André de Rocha is prescribed by Law No.
43 promulgated on 27 November 1989.
The municipal flag of André de Rocha, adopted by the jury of the public contest organized by the municipality, shall have the following characteristics:
I. The flag is composed of a white field with the municipal coat of arms in the center;
II. The coat of arms represents the arms of the municipality;
III. The white color of the flag's field represents peace, a tradition for the inhabitants of André de Rocha.
https://leismunicipais.com.br/a/rs/a/andre-da-rocha/lei-ordinaria/1989/5/43/lei-ordinaria-n-43-1989-caracteriza-e-adota-a-bandeira-do-municipio-de-andre-da-rocha-e-da-outras-providencias - Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms of André de Rocha is prescribed by Law No. 42 promulgated on 27 November 1989.
The coat of arms of André de Rocha, adopted by the jury of the public contest organized by the municipality, is composed of a shield divided in four parts or sectors, representing:
a) The first sector, on top, Morro da Vigia, the historic landmark of André de Rocha's life;
b) The second sector, on the left, a bovine, representing one of the sources of income for the municipality;
c) The third sector, on the right, a soybean plant, also representing one of the sources of income for the municipality; the two sectors, second and third, on a gray background;
d) The fourth sector, a small hill planted with pines, a landscape found everywhere in the municipality.
The shield surmounted by two lances with green banners, representing the municipality's Executive and Judiciary; beneath the shield, a red stylized scroll inscribed in black "André de Rocha - 12.05.88", the date of political emancipation of the municipality. The shield surmounted by a sun representing the birth of the new municipality.
https://leismunicipais.com.br/a/rs/a/andre-da-rocha/lei-ordinaria/1989/5/42/lei-ordinaria-n-42-1989-adota-o-brasao-do-municipio-de-andre-da-rocha-e-da-outras-providencias - Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 11 July 2020