Last modified: 2012-04-07 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | carazinho |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 18
The municipal arms placed centrally on a white field.
Official website is at
Dirk Schönberger, 18 January 2012
The municipality of Carazinho (59,301 inhabitants in 2010; 665 sq. km) is located in northwestern Rio Grande do Sul, 290 km of Porto Alegre. Carazinho was founded in 1872 by Pedro Ribeiro da Santana Vargas (1844-1878) on land purchased from Floriano José de Oliveira. The settlement was originally known as Jacuhyzinho, forming the 4th district of the municipality of Passo Fundo. The municipality of Carazinho was established by State Decree No. 1,707 of 24 January 1931 and inaugurated on 24 February 1931. Carazinho is the birth town of the politicians Leonel Brizola (1922-2004), who served as the Governor of two different States, Rio Grande do Sul (1959-1963) and Rio de Janeiro (1983-1987; 1991-1994), a case unique in the history of Brazil, and Casildo Maldaner (b. 1934), Governor of Santa Catarina in 1990-1991.
The flag of Carazinho is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 2,641 of 4 September 1974. The flag is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The coat of arms of Carazinho, designed by Salustiano Gelson de Pádua
Vargas, is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 120 of ? October 1961.
The shield is tierced per fess. The upper quarter represents on a
green and yellow background and under a blue sky a white cross,
symbolizing the Christian faith and the establishment of the town by
Pedro Vargas through the erection of a chapel dedicated to Jesus
Christ. The middle quarter shows on a red background two spears and a
handshake, symbolizing the 1930 revolution. The lower quarter
symbolizes on a blue background industry, cattle breeding and
Below the shield, a red scroll is inscribed in white letters the name
of the municipality and the dated of its political emancipation.
The shield is surmounted by a black and white [argent] mural crown,
representing a "cidade".
Ivan Sache, 19 March 2012