This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Garibaldi, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-03-28 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | garibaldi |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Garibaldi, RS (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 14 February 2012

See also:

Description of the Flag

A vertical blue-white-blue triband, with a narrow central horizontal stripe, resulting in an irregular upright white cross, with the municipal arms in the centre.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 14 February 2012

The municipality of Garibaldi (30,692 inhabitants in 2010; 168 sq. km) is located in northeastern Rio Grande do Sul, 110 km of Porto Alegre. Garibaldi was established in 24 May 1870 as the Conde D'Eu colony, named for the Count of Eu (Prince Gaston d'Orléans, 1842-1922), the husband of Princess Isabel and, therefore, the son-in-law of Emperor Peter II. The first colonists, all of Prussian origin, settled the place on 9 July 1870. Groups of Swiss, Italian, French, Austrian and Polish immigrants joined the colony in 1870-1874, using the bad road that Conde D'Eu to Montenegro via Maratá. Mostly populated with Italian colonists, Conde D'Eu was the first nucleus of colonization in the mountains of Rio Grande do Sul; population increased from 720 in 1875 to 870 in 1876. The municipality of Garibaldi was established on 31 October 1900. The new name of the place was a tribute to the Italian revolutionary Giuseppe Garibaldi, who fought during the Farroupilha Rebellion. Garibaldi is self-styled "The Land of Sparkling Wine". The first Brazilian Champagne was invented there in 1919 by Manoel Peterlongo, a colonist from Trentino (Italy). His son Armando succeeded him in 1924 and increased the production, building a 10,000 sq. m cellar; the products from "Estabelecimento Vinícola Armando Peterlongo" became nationally famous in 1930; President Getúlio Vargas offered such wines to his guests, including Queen Elizabeth.

The symbols of Garibaldi are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,127 of 1 October 1971. They were, undoubtedly, designed by Arcinoé Antonio Peixoto de Faria.

The coat of arms is "a Samnitic shield surmounted by a eight-towered mural crown argent, argent an escutcheon surmounted with a Count's coronet azure three fleurs-de-lis or 1 + 2 in chief a label gules cantonned with four bunches of grapes proper. Below the shield a scroll gules inscribed in letters argent 'GARIBALDI' surrounded by the years '1870' and '1900' ". The Samnitic shield is the first style of shield introduced to Portugal from France, which was inherited by the Brazilian heraldry as a symbol of the colonizing race and main component of our nation. The mural crown is the universal symbol of government, with eight towers standing for a town of 2nd rank, that is the seat of a county ("comarca"). Argent symbolizes peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling. The escutcheon is the coat of arms of the Count of Eu, recalling the namesake of the Conde D'Eu colony in which Garibaldi originates. Azure symbolizes justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal and loyalty. Or symbolizes glory, greatness, richness, splendor and sovereignty. Gules symbolizes commitment, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidness, courage and valiance. The bunches of grapes recall wine-growing, one of the main sources of income in the municipality. The scroll is charged with the years of creation of the Conde D'Eu colony ("1870") and of its political emancipation ("1900"). 

The height of the cross is 1/3 of the flag's hoist. The mural crown is separated from the shield, not directly lying on it. - Municipal website - Photo

Ivan Sache, 24 March 2012