This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ivoti, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-04-07 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | ivoti |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Ivoti, RS (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 21 February 2012

See also:

Description of the Flag

Divided per saltire, blue above and below, yellow to hoist and fly, with the municipal arms on a large white shield in the centre.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 21 February 2012

The municipality of Ivoti (19,877 inhabitants in 2010; 63 sq. km) is located in the Porto Alegre Metropolitan Area, 60 km of Porto Alegre. The municipalities of Presidente Lucena (former district of Arroi Veado) and Lindolfo Collor (former district of Picada Capivara) seceded from Ivoti on 20 March 1992. Ivoti originates in the colony of Bom Jardin (Good Garden), founded in 1826 by 48 German families coming from the Hunsrück region. THe development of the colony required the building of a bridge over river Feitoria; built in 1857-1864, the bridge was named the Emperor's Bridge as a tribute to his patron, Emperor Peter II. To be protected from the flood of the Feitoria, the village was relocate uphill, where the present-day town stands. The district of Bom Jardin was established, as the 3rd district of the municipality of São Leopoldo, by Provincial Law No. 635 of 4 November 1867. The district as renamed Ivoti ("flower", in Tupi-Guarani) by State Law No. 7,199 of 31 May 1938. In 1966, the municipal administration allocated land to 26 Japanese families, who developed grapes, kiwi and flower cultivation in the municipality. Ivoti industrialized and urbanized in the 1970s, when the merging leather industry attracted manpower from northern Rio Grande do Sul and Santa Catarina. The municipality of Ivoti ("flower", in Tupi-Guarani) was established by State Law No. 4,798 of 19 October 1964, following a plebiscite held on 12 July 1964, and inaugurated on 26 January 1965.

The flag of Ivoti is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 198 of 18 October 1973. The shield in the middle of the flag is said to be "a stylized heart" [in the text, the heart is said, twice, to be "sterilized", which is, of course, a very unfortunate typo.]

The coat of arms of Ivoti is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 126 of 11 September 1970. "Portuguese shield, per fess or and vert (green). In chief three lilac flowers gules (red) and azure (blue), centered on [...]. Dexter a Minerva's helmet gules, sinister a cogwheel of the same, below in between a plow or. In base, a three-arched bridge sable over river Feitoria wavy argent. The shield supported by two branches of Brazilian teak flowered. Below the shield a scroll azure inscribed with "1828 - IVOTI - 1964" or. The shield surmounted with a four- towered mural crown argent. The flowers recall the title of "Flowers' Town" granted to Ivoti, as well as the beauty and fertility of the soil. The symbols of commerce (helmet), industry (wheel) and agriculture (plow) represent the lifeblood of the municipality and its economical power. The Emperor's bridge* represents the past an the early days of Ivoti, then a nucleus of German colonisation known as Bom Jardin. The branches of Brazilian teak (Acacia decurrens) represent a main richness of the town.

*  - Photo, municipal website

Ivan Sache, March 2012