Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | sobradinho |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
19 April 2012
The municipality of Sobradinho (14,162 inhabitants in 2007; 13,039 ha) is
located 250 km of Porto Alegre.
Sobradinho was settled in 1839 by Joaquim Vicente de Toled, who erected a wooden "sobradinho" on the road linking Rio Pardo to Soledade. Used as a landmark by travelers, the building was burned down in 1840 during the Ragamuffin War, the Toledo family being loyal to the Empire.
In 1848, the family of Bento Antonio Pereira, from São Paulo, established near stream Bugra a small "carijo" (workshop) to produce mate; accordingly, the stream was renamed to Carijinho. The first plots were sold in 1898 to German and Italian immigrants; the Sobradinho colony was officially established in 1901. Frederico Mundstock inaugurated on 1908 an hotel that was operated until 1958. The land surveyor Alfredo Neri, commissioned by the Land Commission, designed the town's streets in 1924, while the road connecting Sobradinho to Cachoeira do Sul was built in 1926.
Ivan Sache, 6 August 2020
Horizontally banded green-yellow-red-yellow-green, 3-1-1-1-3, with a yellow
triangle extending from the hoist bearing the municipal coat of arms.
Dirk Schönberger, 19 April 2012
The municipality of Jacuí was established by a State Decree promulgated on 3
December 1927, separating from Soledade. The municipality was renamed to
Sobradinho by Decree No. 20 issued on 25 October 1937.
The flag of Sobradinho was designed by Arcinoé Antônio Peixoto de Farias.
1 - The coat of arms applied on the flag represents the municipal government.
2 - The yellow isosceles triangle charged with the coat of arms represents the town of Sobradinho proper, as the municipality's seat. The triangle is a symbol of Liberty, Equality and Fraternity; yellow is a symbol of glory, splendor, greatness, wealth and sovereignty.
3 - The central yellow stripe charged with another, red stripe, represents the spread of the municipal power all over the municipal territory. Red is a symbol of dedication, self-esteem, audacity, courage and valiance.
4 - The green quarters represent the rural estates scattered over the municipal territory. Green is a symbol of honor, civility, citizenship, courtesy, glee and abundance; green also symbolizes hope as greening fields in spring promising profuse harvests.
The coat of arms of Sobradinho was designed by Arcinoé Antônio Peixoto de Farias.
1 - At the shield's left and right are represented the main crops at its time of re-establishment: tobacco, introduced in the municipality by German immigrants, and maize, mostly grown by Italian immigrants.
2 - In the center, the escutcheon reproduces the arms of the Bento Pereira family, referring to Bento Antonio Pereira, who initiated the settlement of Sobradinho with his family in 1848.
3 - Beneath the shield a wavy green field representing the hilly topography and the agricultural fields, a silver hunting horn, in cow-boy style, representing cattle breeding.
4 - The yellow background symbolizes glory, splendor, greatness, wealth and sovereignty.
5 - The red scroll in the lower part, with the municipality's name, is inscribed with the years "1848" and "1927".
6 - The mural crown surmounting the shield is the universal symbols of domains, classifying a town of 3rd rank, or municipality seat.
Ivan Sache, 6 August 2020