Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | tenente portela |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020
The municipality of Tenente Portela (13,719 inhabitants in 2010; 33,796 ha)
is located 500 km north-west of Porto Alegre.
Tenente Portela is named for Engineering Lieutenant Mario Portela Fagundes. Portela was one of the founders of the "Representation and Justice" movement, which denounced abuse committed by the central power against marginalized officers and against the Brazilian people. A member of the Prestes Column, Portera was killed on 24 January 1925 in a fighting on the bank of river Pardo. The place is now part of the municipality of Pinheirinho do Vale, located 60 km of Tenente Portela and close to the border with Santa Catarina state.
Tenente Portela, originally known as Paris, was settled in 1911. the place was renamed to Miraguay in 1940 and Tenente Portela in 1942. The municipality of Tenente Portela was established by State Law No. 2,673 promulgated on 18 August 1955, separating from Três Passos, and inaugurated on 31 December 1955.
Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020
A white flag with the municipal coat of arms centred.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 22 April 2012
The flag and arms of Tenente Portela are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 9
promulgated on 7 November 1978.
The shield from the coat of arms is surmounted by a crown-shaped fortified citadel, masoned black on a white background, symbolizing political and administrative independence.
The shield, in Portuguese or Flemish style, features on a green field an obelisk and an indigenous war bonnet in chief and a plow in base.
The obelisk features on one of its sides a parchment-like engraving, illegible. It represents the first monument erected to honor Lieutenant Portela, a soldier who died in the neighborhood and gave his name to the municipality. The monument symbolizes an historical event that has to remain in the posterity.
The war bonnet is a reference to the municipality's early inhabitants and origin.
The basic plow evokes the work of all those who built the municipality and still build it through agriculture.
The shield shall be surrounded by a border charged on one side by seven castles or masoned in black and on the other side by five bezants, blue and white. The border shall be red on the part charged with castles and white on the part charged with "quinas".
The divided border evokes the Treaty of San Ildefonso, signed in 1777 by the Portuguese and Spanish crowns, which shares the South American territory. The dividing line prescribed by the treaty split the municipality of Tenente Portela, assigning one half to Portugal and the other to Spain. Moreover, river Uruguai, which limits the municipality, marks the division between the Portuguese and Spanish spheres of influence. The castles and "quinas" are the symbols of the peninsular kingdoms.
Beneath the shield shall be placed a scroll inscribed "18 - 5 - 55 TENENTE PORTELA RS", in black.
The shield's green field is a reference of the forests that cover the municipal territory, and to the Guarita forest and Turvo Forest Park.
The obelisk, the war bonnet and the plow are white, outlined in black.
The flag shall be black, charged in the center with the coat of arms. White evokes the settlement's peaceful people, who are committed to work.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020