Last modified: 2021-12-04 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | benedito novo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 1 November 2021
The municipality of Benedito Novo (11,652 inhabitants in 2019; 38,540 ha) is
located 180 km north-west of Florianópolis. The municipality is composed of the
districts of Benedito Novo (seat), Barra São João and Santa Maria.
Benedito Novo was established in the 1880s by Joseph Peyerl, Johan Maus and Anton Werling, as a colony of Blumenau. The colony was named for river Benedito / Benedicto, the "Blessed River" so rich in fish. The document refering to the set up of the cornerstone of the Evangelic Lutherian church refers to Benedito Linha Nova, a name shortened to Benedito Novo in the late 1890s.
The local tradition claims that the town was named for an escaped slave named Benedito, famous for his kindness and generosity. The Benedito household lived in Carijós (Indaial); one of his sons settled to Benedito Novo. Benedito Sr. sailed with his canoe on the river that was named after him, as was the whole area, as a tribute to his support to the newcomers and knwoledge of navigation on the river, then the only means of communication.
The district of Benedito-Timbó was established within Blumenau by Municipal Law No. 146 promulgated on 30 May 1922. Benedito Novo became a district of the municipality of Timbó, established by State Decree No. 527 promulgated on 28 February 1934, to be transfered to the municipality of Rodeio, established by State Law No. 104 promulgated on 22 October 1936.
The municipality of Benedito Novo was established by State Law No. 805 promulgated on 20 December 1961 and inaugurated on 29 December 1961.
Ivan Sache, 1 November 2021
The flag of Benedito Novo is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 359 promulgated
on 24 September 1979.
The municipal flag shall have the following heraldic description: Composed of three fields arranged vertically, on the left, blue, on the right, yellow, and in the center white, charged in the center with the arms of the municipality.
The municipal flag shall have the following dimensions.
I - The format shall be 1.30 m in length on 90 cm in width.
The coat of arms of Benedito Novo is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 358 promulgated on 29 December 1968.
The arms of the municipality shall be blazoned as follows: Iberian shield, in the upper canton, a stylized hoe on a yellow field, in the lower canton, stylized crossed axes, the right and left cantons chequy green and white. A yellow mural crown. The writing "BENEDITO NOVO" on a blue scroll inscribed with date "29-12-1961".
The Law abrogated Municipal Law No. 126 promulgated on 29 December 1968, which prescribed the first coat of arms of the municipality. For whatever reason, this design was never used on any official document, which were stamped with the arms of Brazil.
§1 - In semi-oval shape, surmounted by mural crown and charged with symbols characterizing the municipality's main activities, with inscription of the date of political emancipation.
§2 - Surrounded on the dexter side by a tobacco plant and on the sinister side by a rice plant. Divided into two parts by a blue stripe representing the municipality's rivers; in the lower part, logs, in the upper part, a maize plant and a worker with an axe. A scroll inscribed "Benedito Novo".
The flag is used either with equal stripes or the white stripes longer than the lateral ones.
Ivan Sache, 1 November 2021