Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | chapadão do lageado |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 2 November 2021
The municipality of Chapadão do Lageado (2,998 inhabitants in 2019; 12,441 ha) is located 150 km west of Florianópolis.
Ivan Sache, 2 November 2021
Divided per bend sinister, green over yellow by a narrow blue over red stripe, with the municipal arms in the centre in a white disk.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 1 June 2012
The flag and arms of Chapadão do Lageado are prescribed by Municipal Law No.
42 promulgated on 31 October 1997.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Chapadão do Lageado is of rounded-off style aka "Portuguese", with the following symbolic representation:
- a crown, representing nobleness and elevation of the district to a municipality;
- a shield, representing bravery and people's struggle for the defense of the municipality's interests;
- a sun, representing energy, shine and life;
- birds, representing peace and liberty;
- an araucaria, representing the preservation of rainforest to protect natural environment;
- a tobacco drying house, representing processing and storage of a source of income for the municipality;
- a man and a tractor, representing work and progress;
- a house, representing everyone's right to a home;
- maize, bean and onion, representing the municipality's income.
The coat of arms is composed of five main colors, with the following meaning:
- yellow, symbolizing the resources of the municipality's ground;
- blue, representing one of the colors of the national flag, symbolizing the sky, the sources, "lageados" and rivers with limpid and crystalline waters, constituting and characterizing the name "Chapadão do Lageado";
- red, symbolizing the citizen's bravery and courage in the struggle for emancipation of the municipality, constituting also one of the colors of the flag of Santa Catarina;
- green, symbolizing the aspiration of the Chapadão do Lageado people to progress and development, constituting also one of the colors of the national flag;
- brown, representing the productive soil.
The flag is rectangular, with the proportions of the national flag, composed of five colors: flag green, yellow, red, blue and white, in the following proportions and representations:
A-1) Green, represented by a scalene, right-angled triangle, 18.6 units in base, 13.0 units in width and 22.6 units in hypotenuse, bordered by a blue stripe.
Green symbolizes the aspiration of Chapadão do Lageado's people to progress and development, constituting also one of the colors of the national flag.
A-2) Yellow, represented by a scalene, right-angled triangle, of the same dimensions as the green triangle but placed in the flag's base, the hypotenuse bordered by a red diagonal stripe.
Yellow symbolizes the resources of the municipality's ground.
A-3) Blue, constituted of a diagonal stripe of 24.3 units in length and 0.8 unit in width, surrounded by the green (upper side) and red (lower side), with the ends in the flag's upper and lower angles.
Blue symbolizes the sky, the sources, "lageados" and rivers with limpide and crystalline waters, constituting and characterizing the name "Chapadão do Lageado", constituting also one of the colors of the national flag.
A-4) Red, represented by another diagonal stripe applied to the blue stripe, of the same dimensions, surrounded by the blue and yellow stripes.
Red symbolizes the citizen's bravery and courage in the struggle for emancipation of the municipality, constituting also one of the colors of the flag of Santa Catarina;
A-5) White, represented by a circle of 7.7 units in diameter, charged in the coat of arms of the municipality.
White symbolizes peace and purity expressed by Chapadão do Lageado people.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 2 November 2021