Last modified: 2016-12-09 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | americo brasiliense | triangle (hoist) | triangle (yellow) | coat of arms | stripes: 3 (horizontal) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
7:10 image by Joseph McMillan
Adopted 10 February 1971
The flag was designed by Arcinóe Peixoto de Faria and approved by law no. 143/1971 of 10 February 1971.
It is described as "quartered per fess," but is more accurately described as blue with three horizontal
yellow stripes, each with a narrower red overstripe, and with a yellow isosceles triangle at the hoist bearing the
municipal arms. The proportions of the flag are 14 by 20 units, with each of the stripes 1.5 units wide,
equally divided yellow-red-yellow. The apex of the triangle is 12 units from the hoist.
The coat of arms is gold with two escutcheons in chief: (dexter) family arms of Oliveira,
viz. gules an olive tree (oliveira) vert, branches and trunk argent, and for crest on a wreath of the colors
the same olive tree; (sinister) family arms of Machado, viz. gules five battle axes arranged in a T, and for
crest on a wreath of the colors two battle axes crossed and interlaced gules; in base on a mount
a factory gules with chimneys emitting smoke argent; all within a bordure azure charged with eight plates.
The supporters are branches of coffee and sugar cane. The scroll reads "1854 - Américo Brasiliense -
Cidade Doçura - 1965," 1854 being the date of the town's founding and 1965 of its municipal incorporation.
The Oliveira and Machado arms are in memory of Manoel Martimiana de Oliveira and Xavier
Machado, who set up the first coffee plantation in the area in 1854. The factory represents the sugar
refining industry. The pledge to the symbols of Américo Brasiliense is "I swear to honor, love,
and defend the symbols of the municipality of Américo Brasiliense, and to struggle for the
enhancement of this city with loyalty and perseverance.
Joseph McMillan, 28 August 2002