Last modified: 2013-03-23 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | araçariguama |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache,
10 March 2013
Araçariguama originates in the establishment in 1648 by Gonçalo Bicudo
Chassi of a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Sorrow. In 1653, the
chapel was erected a parish depending on the town of Santana de
Parnaíba. The church was built near the Vuturuna Hill, where the main
resources in gold in São Paulo had been discovered in 1590 by Alfonso
Sardinha, Captain of São Paulo de Piratininga. The parish of
Araçariguama was transferred by Law No. 10 of 12 February 1844 from
Santana de Parnaíba to São Roque.
The municipality of Araçariguama was established by Law No. 43 of 16
April 1874. Downgraded to a district in 1934, the municipality of
Araçariguama was reestablished by State Law No. 7,665, following a
plebiscite organized on 19 May 1991, and inaugurated on 1 January 1993.
http://www.aracariguama.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The flag of Araçariguama is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
Photos of the flag
The flag appears to be used indoors in 14:20 proportions, while copies
in 2:3 proportions are used, probably less officially, in outdoors
Ivan Sache, 10 March 2013
image by Ivan Sache, 10 March 2013