This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Bilac, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-03-23 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | bilac |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Bilac, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 17 March 2013

See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Bilac (7,052 inhabitants in 2010; 15,728 ha) is located in northwestern São Paulo State.

Bilac was founded in 1917, as Córrego da Colônia, on land that belonged to "Brazil Plantation Sindical". In 1927, the company organized the set up of plots to attract more colonists. Among the colonists of the time were Fernando Rodrigues, Francisco Lopes Rodrigues, José Gonçalves and Hicoiti Yoshiy. Later on, "Sociedade Vila Conceição", ran by Osvaldo Martins, Sakae Sato, Shoe Anzai and Toshio Yoshiy, purchased land and set up more plots. A first wooden house was built by João Nery. Vila Nossa Senhora da Conceição was established on 10 February 1923 by the Municipal Council of Birigui. The district of Nipolândia - a name referring to the Japanese colonists - was established by State Decree No. 6,043 of 18 August 1933, and renamed Bilac by State Decree No. 9,775 of 30 November 1938. The municipality of Bilac was established by State Decree-Law No. 14,334 of 30 November 1944 and inaugurated on 1 January 1945.

The municipality is named for the poet Olavo Brás Martins dos Guimarães Bilac (1865-1918), a founding member of the Brazilian Academy of Letters. Elected "Prince of the Brazilian Poets" by the review "Fon-Fon" in 1907, Bilac formed, together with Alberto de Oliveira and Raimundo Correia, a group known as the "Parnassian Triad". Bilac is the author of the anthem to the national flag ("Hino da Bandeira"). - Municipal website

The flag of Bilac is yellow with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. - Website of the Municipal Council

Photos of the flag
Ivan Sache, 17 March 2013