Last modified: 2013-05-18 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | guarantã |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 4 April 2013
Guarantã originates in the establishment in 1921 by "Estrada de Ferro
Noroeste do Brasil" of the railway station of the same name. Guarantã
is a corruption of the Tupi-Guarani word "iara-tã", "hardwood", referring
to a tree common in the region (Esenbeckia leiocoarpa Engl.). A cross was erected by Altino Cardoso, which was the founding
event of the town. The district of Guarantã was established by State
Law No. 2,025 of 27 December 1924, as part of the municipality of
The municipality of Guarantã was established by State Law-Decree No.
20,334 of 30 November 1944.
http://www.guaranta.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The flag of Guarantã is yellow with two red axes crossed per saltire
and cantonned with four pink roses (with a green stem and two green
The flag appears to be a banner of the municipal arms, "Or two axes
gules crossed per saltire cantonned with tour roses proper".
http://www.guaranta.sp.gov.br/bandeira.htm - Municipal website
http://camaraguaranta.sp.gov.br - Website of the Municipal Chamber
Ivan Sache, 4 April 2013