Last modified: 2013-01-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | ourinhos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger and Ivan Sache,
19 and 29 December 2012
Based on: http://www.ourinhos.sp.gov.br/conteudo/simbolos/titulo/S%C3%ADmbolos+C%C3%ADvicos
Gyronny of green and yellow, with the municipal arms in the centre on a white square.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 19 December 2012
Ourinhos was established in 1906 by Jacintho Ferreira de Sá, who came from Santa Cruz do Rio Pardo and purchased a big piece of land from Escolástica Melcheret da Fonseca, matching more or less the whole, present municipal territory. He built a few huts, a school and a church in the center of the plot. The railway post was established in 1908, to be upgraded into a station four years later. The district of Ourinhos, part of the municipalities of Paranapanema and Salto Grande, was established in 1915. The municipality of Ourinhos was established on 13 December 1918 and inaugurated on 20 March 1919.
The flag of Ourinhos is a gyronny of eight pieces, in turn yellow and green. In the middle is placed a white square charged with the municipal coat of arms.
Photos of the flag:
The coat of arms of Ourinhos is "Azure a triangle wavy argent charged with a triangle wavy or itself charged with a tree vert in chief a locomotive or. The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent charged in the middle with a palm or orled by a crown of thorns. The shield supported dexter by a branch of coffee and sinister by a sugarcane. Below the shield a scroll azure inscribed with the motto "TERRA POPULUSQUE AUREI'.'
The Portuguese shield recalls the Portuguese origin of the Brazilian towns. Azure is a symbol of glory and virtue; it also represents the beauty of the town, surrounded by big rivers. The triangle or represents the town as "a golden land between rivers"., as well as the fertility of the soil. The three wavy borders of the triangle represent rivers Pardo, Paranapanema and Turvo. The town is located at their confluence, being placed at the vertex of a triangle. The tree represents the place where the early settlement was built. It is a symbol of harmony for all, united in a single trunk. The steam locomotive recall the main rationale for the establishment of the town, following the advance of the Sorocabana Railway, whose engineers and workers set up a camp at the shadow of the tree. Coffee and sugarcane are the main crops of the region. The palm and crown of thorns recall the patron saint of the town, Jesus Christ. The Latin motto means "Golden Land and People".
image by Ivan Sache, 29 December 2012
The flag also exists with proportions 2:3 and a white rectangle instead of
Ivan Sache, 29 December 2012