Last modified: 2013-01-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | paraguaçu paulista |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
27 December 2012
Based on: http://www.eparaguacu.sp.gov.br/simbolos.asp?simb=band
A horizontal tricolour, red (with white canton)-yellow-green with the municipal arms in the canton.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 27 December 2012
Paraguaçu Paulista emerged as the settlement of Conceição de Monte Alegre, established in 1873 by José Teodoro de Souza. The colonization of the region was not peaceful; violent fighting opposed the pioneers coming from Minas Gerais to the Caigang natives. Starting around 1910, Paulino Vieira, aka Minguta, established the settlement of Molto Bonita around the Monte Alegre railway station, located 6 km of Conceição de Monte Alegre. The municipality of Paraguaçu Paulista was established on 30 December 1924 and inaugurated on 12 March 1925.
The symbols of Paraguaçu Paulista are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 593 of 5 December 1961.
The flag is horizontally divided red-yellow-green. In canton is placed a white rectangle charged with the municipal coat of arms. The flag is prescribed in proportions 3:5, the length of the rectangle being the half of the hoist.
The red stripe recalls the epochs of the fighting on the banks of river Alegre.
The yellow stripe symbolizes the Catholic faith and the patron saint
of the town, Our Lady of Peace.
The green stripe symbolizes the main crops in the municipality, cotton
http://www.eparaguacu.sp.gov.br/simbolos.asp?simb=band - Municipal website
Photo of the flag: http://folhadaestancia.com.br/site/?p=1897
The coat of arms is "A Samnitic or French modern shield, surmounted by a mural crown and fimbriated or [not shown on the drawing]. Azure a Latin cross argent an arrow and a bow sable [argent on the flag] crossed per saltire a chief gules a rising sun or [without the red center on the flag]. The shield supported dexter by a branch of cotton and sinister by branch of coffee the two proper. Below the shield a scroll argent inscribed with the motto 'VIS ET LABOR' in letters sable."
The cross is a symbol of religious feeling
The natives' bow and arrow recall the fighting on the bank of river
The rising sun is a symbol of progress.
The Latin motto means "Force and Work".
Cotton and coffee are the main crops in the municipality.
http://www.eparaguacu.sp.gov.br/simbolos.asp?simb=bras - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 29 December 2012