This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Central Elgin, Ontario (Canada)

Elgin County

Last modified: 2017-05-12 by rob raeside
Keywords: central elgin | ontario |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Central Elgin, Ontario] image located by Valentin Poposki, 13 April 2012

See also:

The Municipality

The municipality (township) of Central Elgin (12,743 inhabitants in 2011; 28,023 ha) was formed in 1998 as the merger of the township of Yarmouth and the villages of Belmont and Port Stanley.
Ivan Sache, 12 April 2017

Description of the flag

A vertical triband, blue-white-blue, with the municipal shield in the upper hoist.

Photos of the flag:

The flag and arms of Central Elgin were inscribed on 1 March 1999 in the Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges, Vol. III, p. 303. The announcement of the Letters Patent was made on 22 July 2000 in Vol. 134, p. 2,263 of the Canada Gazette.

Azure between four pallets two and two wavy issuant from two bars wavy argent in base a fish leaping between two ears of corn in pale or.
Issuant from a mural coronet argent set with a frieze of maple leaves vert a mast azure flying therefrom a sail or charged with a saltire cross couped gules.
On a grassy island vert set on barry wavy azure and argent dexter a demi deer azure attired and unguled or gorged with a collar of trillium flowers argent queued of a fish tail also argent sinister a demi horse azure maned and unguled or gorged and queued in a same manner.
Azure a pale Argent in the canton an escutcheon of the Arms fimbriated Argent

Artist Information
Creator(s): Original concept of Robert D. Watt, Chief Herald of Canada, assisted by the heralds of the Canadian Heraldic Authority
Painter: Eva Pilar-Cass
Calligrapher: Nancy Ellis - Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges

The wavy white lines on the shield represent the three significant geographic features within the municipality: Lake Erie, Kettle Creek and Catfish Creek. The ears of corn and the fish located in the centre of the shield represent Central Elgin's predecessor municipalities: the agricultural roots of the township of Yarmouth and the village of Belmont and the fishing heritage of the village of Port Stanley. The sail represents Central Elgin's marine ties with the lake. St. Andrew's (saltire) cross on the sail is symbolic of the family of Lord Elgin. The mythical creatures on either side of the shield: horse/fish and deer/fish again show the municipality's ties to both the land and Lake Erie. The horse is representative of the work horses that pulled ploughs across the fields of Yarmouth township. Finally, the deer was found on the coat of arms of the village of Port Stanley, symbolizing the family of Lord Stanley for whom that community was named. - Municipal website

James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin and 12th Earl of Kincardine (1811-1863) served as Governor of Jamaica (18421846), Governor General of the Province of Canada (18471854), and Viceroy of India (18621863). Edward George Geoffrey Smith-Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby (1799-1869), known as Lord Stanley from 1834 to 1851, was Prime Minister of the
United Kingdom in 1852, 1858-1859, and 1866-1868.
Ivan Sache
, 12 April 2017