Last modified: 2013-10-14 by rob raeside
Keywords: beauharnois | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 14 September 2013
The town of Beauharnois (12,175 inhabitants in 2013; 6,909 ha) is located
in Beauharnois-Salaberry Regional County Municipality, Region Montérégie. The
town is part of Greater Montreal Area.
Beauharnois is named for Charles de Beauharnois (1671-1749), Governor of Nouvelle-France (1726-1747). In 1729, Charles de Beauharnois and his brother Claude were granted by King Louis XV the domain of Villechauve, a huge territory limited in the north by river Saint-Laurent and in the south by the today's border with the USA. In 1795, Michel Chartier de Lotbinière sold the domain to Alexander Ellice, a Scottish trader, whose family would rule the place for three generations. The young lord Edward Ellice was jailed in 1838 during the second Patriots' uprising. His wife Jane wrote a famous diary and painted scenes of the uprising, including the famous "The Insurgents at Beauharnois". After the suppression of the uprising, 10 men of Beauharnois were deported to Australia.
The civil parish of Beauharnois was erected in 1835, while the village of Beauharnois was established in 1846. The town of Beauharnois was incorporated in 1863. The today's town of Beauharnois was formed on 1 February 2002 as the merger of the former towns of Beauharnois, Maple Grove and Melocheville. The Beauharnois power plant, built on the Beauharnois Canal in three stages from 1929 to 1961, was one of the longest river plants in the world and remained the most powerful in Québec until the late 1970s.
http://ville.beauharnois.qc.ca - Municipal website
The flag of Beauharnois is white with the town's logo in the middle. The flag was hoisted on 3 August 2012 on USS Hurricane, USS DeWert and HMCS Ville du Québec during the celebration of the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812.
http://www.infosuroit.com/belle-aventure-pour-le-drapeau-de-la-ville-de-beauharnois - "INFOSuroit", 4 August 2012
The two blue and green elements placed inside a blue circle symbolize the merging of the former municipalities of Beauharnois, Maple Grove and Melocheville. They also represent boats sailing on lake Saint-Louis, birds and freedom. The merging of the two elements form the letter "B", for "Beauharnois". The light blue, roundish element symbolizes the banks of lake Saint-Louis that border the municipality all over its length. Inside the roundish element, a white shape symbolizes a leaf, recalling the natural environment and its beauty, the Robert wood*, the Québec Archaeology Museum at Pointe-du-Buisson**, and Îles-de-la- Paix***. The typographical shape of the name "Beauharnois" recalls the rich history of the town.
http://ville.beauharnois.qc.ca/mairie/signification-du-logo - Town's website
*The Robert wood features one of the most diversified floras in eastern Canada, with more than 25 tree species and 350 herbaceous plants.
**Founded in 1986, the Museum is made of 17 forest archaeological sites, where more than 2 million artefacts were excavated. http://ville.beauharnois.qc.ca/decouvrir-beauharnois/attraits-touristiques
*** Îles-de-la-Paix (Peace Islands) archipelago, located in the southwest part of Lake Saint-Louis, is a national reserve of wildlife and a refuge of migrating birds, owned by the Canadian Wildlife Service http://www.ilesdelapaix.ca
Ivan Sache, 14 September 2013