This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Saint-Honoré, Quebec (Canada)

Ville de Saint-Honoré

Last modified: 2012-08-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: saguenay | saint-honoré |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Ville de Saint-Prime] image located by Ivan Sache, 22 July 2012

See also:

Description of the flag

The municipality of Saint-Honoré (5,257 inhabitants in 2011; 190 sq. km) is part of the Fjord-de-Saguenay MRC. The town is usually known as Saint-Honoré-de-Chicoutimi for differentiation from other places in Quebec named St. Honoré. Here, the name of the municipality honours St. Honoré as the patron saint of Honoré Petit (1847-1922), Representative of the region at the Legislative Assembly of Quebec (1892-1919).

The current municipality of Saint-Honoré was formed on 16 December 1972 by the merging of the parish municipality of Saint-Honoré, established in 1913, and of the village municipality, which had seceded from the parish municipality in 1953.

The flag of Saint-Honoré is white with the town's coat of arms in the middle. - Photo, 9 August 2009

The coat of arms is "Per pale, 1. Orange a mining wagon sable, 2. Azure a plane sable, a chief vert a cross or ensigned by a cartouche gules inscribed 'ST. HONORE' in letters sable. Under the shield a scroll gules inscribed 'PROGRESSONS' (Let Us Progress) in letter sable, surrounded by two fleurs-de-lis of the same."

Green represents the immensity of the forests, while the yellow cross represents agriculture.
Orange symbolizes the development of the municipality; the wagon represents the Niobec mine*.
Azure highlights the majesty, the beauty and the serenity of the Saguenay heavens. The aircraft represents the Saint-Honoré airfield.
The fleurs-de-lys symbolize the French Canadians.

*The Saint-Honoré mine is owned by "Niobec Inc.", a fully-owned subsidiary created in summer 2011 by "Iamgold Co.", The Niobec mine is the only underground niobium and one of the three top-producing (9% of the total production) niobium mines in the world. Following the discovery of niobium ore in 1967, the mine was built in 1974, extraction starting in 1976. Production of ferroniobium was started in 1994.  - Corporate website
**The Saint-Honoré airfield was built in 1942 as an auxiliary base for the Bagotville base, then the Operational Training Unit for the Commonwealth air forces. Close in January 1945, the airfield was sold to the Chicoutimi Air Club and transformed into the today's Chicoutimi-Saint-Honoré airport.éroport/tabid/5427/language/fr-FR/Default.aspx - Airport homepage, municipal website
Ivan Sache, 22 July 2012