This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Maniwaki, Quebec (Canada)

Ville de Maniwaki

Last modified: 2017-06-06 by rob raeside
Keywords: maniwaki | quebec | letter: m |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Maniwaki] image by Ivan Sache, 29 March 2017

See also:

The municipality

From the municipal website:

In the Algonquin language, Maniwaki means "Land of Mary". Some 150 years ago, the Reverend Oblate Fathers founded a mission and soon after, wood merchants, farmers, trade workers, businessmen and professionals, drawn by the forest's wealth, came to live. Maniwaki was founded in 1849 and the parish registers were started in 1851. Forestry took root and became the livelihood of many settlers in this still virgin region. Irish, French and American Indians all contributed to the development of the City and lived side by side in harmony. Maniwaki was officially founded in 1851 and obtained the status of "Ville de la province de Québec" in 1957.

The first settlers of the region were the Algonquins. The Réserve de la Rivière Désert, also known as the Kitigan Zibi Reserve, is just to the south of Maniwaki.

The coat of arms of the town recalls the Algonquins and the Oblates but it is unfortunately not used on the flag.
Ivan Sache, 7 March 2007

The flag

From the city website:

The earth and the sun, symbolizes abundance and productivity;

The two rivers that feed us;

The "M" in the form of a takeoff represents our constantly better future;

The blue stripe amplifies the importance of our waterways and the surrounding natural resources which constitutes the backbone of our tourist, agriculture and forest industries;

The white background symbolizes the essential unified action of our future in the Haute-Gatineau.

Valentin Poposki, 29 January 2006

The flag is white with the emblem of the town surmounting VILLE DE MANIWAKI. The emblem and the lettering are light blue. A photograph in the municipal website shows the flag hanging in the "bureau d'information touristique" of the town.
Ivan Sache, 3 June 2008