This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Sainte-Luce, Quebec (Canada)


Last modified: 2017-04-08 by rob raeside
Keywords: sainte-luce | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Sainte-Luce flag] image by Ivan Sache, 27 March 2017

See also:

The Municipality

The municipality of Sainte-Luce (2,801 inhabitants in 2016; 7,245 ha) is located 20 km east of Rimouski, on the southern bank of river Saint-Laurent. Sainte-Luce is famous for its sand beach, the place of a noted sand sculpture competition. The municipality was established on 29 August 2001 as the merger of the former municipalities of Sainte-Luce and Luceville, known as Sainte-Luce-Luceville until 27 April 2002.

Sainte-Luce emerged in 1829 as the parish of Sainte-Luce de Lessard, named for Luce-Gertrude Drapeau, the main settler of the place - one of the five daughters of Joseph Drapeau, a wealthy merchant from Quebec, who had acquired the area in 1790.

The wreck of the liner "Empress of Island" is located on the municipal territory of Sainte-Luce, 4.5 miles off the coast, at a depth of 42 m. It was registered as a historical and archeological monument on 15 April 1999 by the Ministry of Culture and Communication of Quebec. Designed by the architect Francis Elgar and built in 1906 at the Fairfield shipyard, the "Empress of Ireland" (168 m x 20 m 14,191 tons; speed, 20 knots) was operated by the Canadien Pacifique company on the scheduled line Quebec-Liverpool. The duration of the journey was six days. On 28 May 1914, the "Empress of Ireland" left the port of Quebec with 1,477 passengers and 400 crew members. On the morning of 29 May, a very foggy day, the ship collided with a Norwegian coal ship, the "Storstad" and was lost within 15 minutes. The accident claimed 1,012 lives, the highest death toll in the Canadian maritime history. - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 27 March 2017

Description of the flag

The flag of Sainte-Luce is white with the municipal logo.


Ivan Sache, 27 March 2017