This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Albania (Santander, Colombia)

Last modified: 2021-08-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: santander | albania |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

image by Jairo Alonso Méndez Méndez and Ivan Sache, 26 July 2009

See also:


According to the municipal website, the flag has four yellow stars (1:2:1) on the triangle.
Felipe Carrillo, 2 January 2009

Translated from the municipal website:
"The flag of Albania with its red triangle represents the progressist and working blood of the inhabitants of the municipality, the stars represent the police inspections [I guess, police administrative divisions], that is, La Mesa, Guacos, El Hatillo and Carretero; today [the municipality] has only two villages, El Hatillo and La Mesa, and the urban center; in the upper part, the green colour represent the vegetation of the territory, the black stripe represents the mining resources, especially coal, and the blue stripe, in the lower part, represents the abundant hydric resources watering our soil. The flag was designed by Ana Elizabeth Carrillo Verano."
On the coat of arms, the four municipal flags used as supporters are starless, the four stars (here white with black border) being placed in a rectangular cartouche over the shield.
A photo at themunicipal website, taken during of the Festival of the Virgin del Carmen shows the flag with a circular emblem placed over the confluency of the three fields. The emblem is made of the municipal coat of arms placed on a white disk surrounded by a brown ring charged with "ALCALDIA / DE ALBANIA" in white letters.
This flag matches the flag of Colombia hoisted on the other part of the stand, in which the coat of arms is also inscribed in a brown ring charged with "REPUBLICA DE COLOMBIA" in white letters.
The municipality of Albania was created by Departmental Decree No. 46 on 12 July 1904, with Pueblo Viejo as its capital; this Decree abrogated Decree No. 70 of 1903 creating the municipality of Pariquí. The 1904 Decree had no effect until 31 March 1913, when the Departmental Assembly ordered the Governor to organize the municipality, appoint a Mayor and call for municipal elections; the Governor was able to postpone the order until 1919, when the capital of the municipality was set up in the site of Chevre, already settled for a few years around a school and a chapel. On 26 April 1919, by Decree No. 33, the Departmental Assembly abrogated the 1901 Decree and set up the capital of the municipality in La Mesa del Carmen; the municipality was eventually inaugurated on 20 August 1919. The villagers of Pueblo Viejo challenged the Decree, which was cancelled; the capital of the municipality was legally set up in La Mesa del Carmen by (yet another) Decree No. 51 on 21 April 1921.
Ivan Sache, 26 July 2009

Coat of Arms

image contributed by Jairo Alonso Méndez Méndez, 30 November 2004