Last modified: 2018-11-26 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: education |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 29 January 2009
"Institución Educativa 'Gabriel Garcia Márquez'"
is located in the borough of Marruecos, Municipality of Corozal,
Department of Sucre. The institute is named after the writer
Gabriel Garcia Márquez (b. 1927), awarded the Nobel Prize in
Literature in 1982.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided white-green. White represent our dreams and green our hope in a better future.
Ivan Sache, 29 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 28 July 2018
Instituto Gabriel García Márquez was established in 1982 in the
Bucarica borough, Floridablanca (Santander). The institute was merged
with Instituto Caracolí by Resolution No. 331, adopted on 1 October 2004.
The flag of Instituto Gabriel García Márquez is composed of a rectangle whose height represents 2/3 of the length. The rectangle is divided into three horizontal stripes.
The upper stripe, in proportion 1/4 of the total height, is azure (heraldic blue). This is the dominant color on planet Earth, symbolizing ecological awareness and quest of balance between mankind and his home: the Earth, as fundamental aspects of integral education offered by the institute.
The central stripe, white, in proportion 2/4 of the height, represents honesty and tolerance, inalienable values for social life. In the center of this field are placed two yellow butterflies, as a clear reminiscence of our Nobel Prize in Literature. They also represent the two seats composing the institute.
The lower stripe, gules (heraldic red), in proportion 1/4 of the flag's height, symbolizes the tenacity and strength of the educational community in its quest for excellence.
Manual de Convivencia, Chapter 2.1.
The yellow butterflies are a direct reference to Mauricio Babilonia, a character of García Márquez' most famous novel, "One Hundred Years of Solitude", who is constantly swarmed by yellow butterflies. This unusual characteristic made of Mauricio Babilonia, a secondary character of the book, an iconic representative of Macondo's magic world invented by the writer.
El Heraldo, 17 April 2015
Ivan Sache, 28 July 2018
image by Željko Heimer, 13 December 2005
Institución Educativa Técnica en Gestión Empresarial Gabriela Mistral is
located in El Cármen de Bolívar (Bolívar Department). The institute is named for
the Chilean poetess Gabriela Mistral (1889-1957), who was awarded in 1945 the
Nobel Prize in literature.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-red with a square blue canton charged with a white star, that is, similar to the Chilean flag. This is, most probably, not a mere coincidence but a tribute to the country of the institute's namesake.
Source: http://carmeninfos.com/grupo2/index.php/bandera - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 20 November 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 03 July 2011
"Escuela Normal Superior de Gachetá" originates in a girls' institute founded
in 1932 in Gachetá (Cundinamarca Department) by Abdón López Ayala, the parish
priest. In 1956, the institute was renamed "Escuela Normal de La Presentación".
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is horizontally divided yellow-green.
Ivan Sache, 03 July 2011
On 5 April 2011, the Governing Board of the institute approved a public
contest to change the flag and emblem of the institute. The proposed new flag
would keep the yellow and green colours, and would include an additional white
stripe, and, in the middle, a shield. Three years later, the original symbols
are still shown on the institute's website; accordingly, the contest must have
Source: http://escuelanormalsuperiordegacheta.wordpress.com/tag/reforma-de-escudo-bandera/ - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 03 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 12 October 2018
IE General Carlos Albán was established in 1987 in Villavicencio (Meta
Department). The school's namesake is General Francisco José Carlos Albán
Estupiñán (1844-1902). A noted writer ("Policarpa Salavarrieta", "Jesús en el
Huerto de los Olivos", "Luz eterna"), Albán was also a prolific inventor, who
patented a universal clock, a telescope, and, most of all, an aerostatic globe
able to fly that seems to have "inspired" Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin. General
Carlos Albán died during the War of a Thousand Days when commanding the "Lautaro",
a vessel flying the Chilean ensign and supporting the Conservatives, sunk by the
"Padilla" operated by the Liberals.
The flag of IE General Carlos Albán, designed by Nelson Antonio Herrea Herrea, was selected in 2006 in a contest; a jury selected three contender designs among the 148 proposals, which were submitted to student's vote.
The flag is diagonally divided (per bend) blue-white-blue with the school's coat of arms in the center.
Blue represents work and the force of the whole educational community.
White represents peace, unity and team work.
The coat of arms represents the unity between the parents, the students and the teachers to promote the growth of the institute and of the children.
The distribution of the colors and stripes represents academic and disciplinary preparation; education to social, civic and religious values, and an elevated spirit of participation and democracy.
The coat of arms of IE General Carlos Albán uses the blue and white colors, representing the abundance of knowledge, healthy living together and peace promoted by the educational community. The flag of the Republic of Colombia represents the fatherland. The flag of Meta Department conveys noble ideals and the valiant struggle for liberty. The book is a symbol of academic excellence. "LFI" reads "Líderes en Formación Integral" (Leaders in Integral Education). The motto "Excelencia y Liderazgo" reads "Excellence and Leadership".
Ivan Sache, 12 October 2018
image by Ivan Sache, 28 October 2018
Road Safety School General Deogracias Fonseca Espinosa (Escuela de Seguridad
Vial General Deogracias Fonseca Espinosa - ESEVI) is located in borough Fontibón,
ESEVI is named for General Deogracias Fonseca Espinosa (1908-2006), member of the Military Government that ruled Colombia from 10 March 1957 to 7 August 1958 and managed the return to democracy after General Gustavo Rojas Pinilla's four-year dictatorship. He also served as Director of the National Police from 1976 to 1981.
The flag of ESEVI is horizontally divided yellow-green with the school's badge in the center.
Ivan Sache, 28 October 2018
image by Ivan Sache, 07 July 2014
Colegio General Gustavo Rojas Pinilla is located in the Lagos de Castilla
borough, part of the municipality of Kennedy (Bogotá). The institute is named
for General Gustavo Rojas Pinilla (1900-1975), President of the Republic of
Colombia from 1953 to 1957.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided blue-green. Blue is a symbol of trust, harmony, stability, affect, friendship, loyalty and love. Green is a symbol of hope, youth, balance and natural environment.
http://colegio.redp.edu.co/gustavorojasp/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3:informacion-institucional&catid=6:infinst&Itemid=12 - Institute webpage
Ivan Sache, 7 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 9 January 2004
The College was founded in 1997 in Ipiales, Narino department.
Its flag is horizontally divided yellow-blue with a white
triangle placed along the hoist.
Source: www.voluntad.com.co [defunct], located by Dov Gutterman.
Ivan Sache, 9 January 2004
https://web.archive.org/web/20040609004034/http://www.voluntad.com.co/voluntad/colegios/16159/index.htm - Institute's website (archived)
Ivan Sache, 19 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 9 October 2018
Colegio Militar General Agustin Codazzi is located in borough Chapinero,
Palmira (Valle del Cauca Department). Agustin Codazzi (1793-1859), of Italian
origin, fought in Bolivar's army. Made Colonel by the Venezuelan government, he
published a famous Atlas of the Venezuelan Provinces and subsequently moved to
The flag of Colegio Militar General Agustin Codazzi is horizontally divided white-green.
White represents purity, peace and integrity of the cadets, who are dynamic in the conquest of personal excellence. Green represents hope, life, love for progress, commitment to the service of others, as well as preservation of the natural, historical, spiritual and cultural heritage.
Manual de Convivencia (Article 15.1.b)
Ivan Sache, 9 October 2018
image by Ivan Sache, 01 October 2012
The Colegio Departamental "General Pedro José Sarmiento" was established in
Socha by the Decree of 22 November 1961. In 1976, the institute was renamed
Instituto Integrado Nacionalizado "Pedro José Sarmiento" by Decree no. 594.
Decree No. 306 of 15 February 2002 renamed it Colegio "Pedro José Sarmiento".
General Pedro José Sarmiento was President of the Boyacá Department in the late
Source: http://colegiopjs.es.tl/ - Institute's website
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided green-white-green.
Source: http://www.socha-boyaca.gov.co/apc-aa-files/33383463363735336232333366366365/SIMBOLOS_DE_LA_INSTITUCION_1.pdf - Socha official website
Ivan Sache, 01 October 2012
image by Ivan Sache, 6 November 2010
Colegio General Santander, founded in 1940 and renamed for a few years as
Colegio Telmo Acevedo Ardila, is the oldest official educational institute in
the Department of Arauca. Originally intended for boys only, the institute was
opened to girls in 1968; it caters today some 1,300 alumni.
The flag of Colegio General Santander, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is horizontally divided bright yellow-green. Bright yellow represents wealth, ripe fruit and solar light. Green represents emerald, the fabulous gem that is the pride of Colombia, and silent beauty. The same colors are used on the institute's coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 6 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 18 March 2017
Institución Educativa General Santander originates in a school established in
1938 in Rosario, Norte de Santander Department. Due to political unrest, the
school was closed in 1942. The institute was re-established by Departmental
Ordinance on 5 October 1961, as promoted by the Representative Simón Granados
The institute is named for the local hero, General Francisco de Paula Santander (1792-1840), 4th President of the Republic of New Granada (1832-1837).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-celestial blue.
https://peicolgesan.wordpress.com - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 18 March 2017
image by Ivan Sache, 27 October 2014
Escuela Normal Genoveva Díaz was established in San Jerónimo (Antioquia
Department) in 1958; to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the poet and
jurisconsult Marcel Díaz, the school was named for his mother, Genoveva.
The flag of the institute is vertically divided blue-white-blue. Blue is a symbol of justice, virtue, and loyalty. White is a symbol of chastity and purity.
Source: http://genovevadiaz.blogspot.fr/2009/01/escudo.html - Institute's blog
Ivan Sache, 27 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 08 August 2014
Gimnasio Campestre George Berkeley was established in 1986 in Usaquén
(Bogotá), and transferred to Suba in 2005. The institute is named for the Irish
philosopher and humanist George Berkeley (1685-1753)
The flag of the institute is vertically divided green-white-orange with the institute's emblem in the middle. Green is a symbol of life, tranquility, and hope. White is a symbol of peace and triumph. Orange is a symbol of joy, energy, felicity, and creativity.
The emblem of the institute features a shield shaped like a trophy, which means triumph. The shield is charged with three symbols highlighting the skills of George Berkeley: science (Greek letter π), education (book), and sports (torch). The shield is surmounted by a golden crown representing triumph and supremacy. Beneath the shield is a white scroll inscribed with the institute's motto "LEALTAD DISCIPLINA ESTUDIO" (Loyalty Discipline Study)
Source: http://gimberkeley.edu.co/insignias-2/ - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 08 August 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 24 September 2014
Liceo Infantil Getsemani is located in Buenaventura (Valle Department).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-blue. White is a symbol of peace. Blue is a symbol of creative spirit.
Source: http://liceoinfantilgetsemani.mex.tl/frameset.php?url=/1228919_Escudo--Bandera--Himno-al-LICEO-INFANTIL-GETSEMANI.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 24 September 2014