Last modified: 2021-08-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: education | colombia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 5 January 2009
"Colegio San Patricio" was founded in 1959 in
Bogotá by Emma Gaviria de Uribe, as "St. Patrick
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is green with a thin vertical white line near the fly and two thin horizontal white lines near the bottom, and, in the middle, a green clover leaf outlined in light green, charged with the white letters "CSP" and placed on a white disk. The flag was designed by educators of the institute.
The clover was used by St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, to explain the mystery of the Holy Trinity.
Ivan Sache, 5 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 28 July 2011
"Colegio San Pedro" is located in the municipality of Madrid, Cundinamarca
Department. The institute originates in "Escuela Agrícola de San Pedro", founded
in 1937 by Ruperto, Dolores and Rosa Elvira Melo Torres on their estate named
"La Hélida". The institute was then aimed at providing education to the
farmers' sons so that they could subsequently manage their own estates.
The Melo family subsequently donated the institute to the Tertiary Capuchins, a congregation founded in 1889 by Luis Amigó Ferrer and active in Colombia since 1905.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically on the institute's website, is horizontally divided blue-white-red.
Ivan Sache, 28 July 2011
image by Ivan Sache, 27 January 2009
"Colegio San Pedro Claver" is located in the Kennedy
borough, Bogotá. The institute is named after the Spanish Jesuit
St. Peter Claver (1580-1654, canonized on 15 September 1888), the
patron saint of slaves, of Colombia and of African Americans.
The flag of the institute, as shown graphically and described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided blue-white-red with three white stars outlined in black in the white stripe.
Blue represents humility and tolerance.
White represents inner and outer peace.
Red represents enthusiasm to teach and to be taught.
Ivan Sache, 27 January 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 18 March 2017
Institución Educativa San Pedro Claver was established in Puerto Boyacá,
Boyacá Department, on 13 February 1964 by Decree No. 98.
The institute is named after the Spanish Jesuit St. Peter Claver (1580-1654, canonized on 15 September 1888), the patron saint of
slaves, of Colombia and of African Americans.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided yellow-green with the institute's coat of arms in the center.
http://sanpedroclaverpuertoboyaca.blogspot.fr/p/1-presentacion.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 18 March 2017
image by Ivan Sache, 10 February 2021
Colegio Seminario San Pio X, located at Floridablanca (Santander), was
recognized by Decree No. 7 issued on 2 February 1954 by Aníbal Muñoz Duque
(1908-1987), Bishop of Bucaramanga (1952-1959). Classes started on 11 February
The school is named after Pope Pius X (1835-1914, Pope in 1903, canonized in 1954).
The flag of Colegio Seminario San Pio X is vertically divided green-white-red with the school's coat of arms in the center.
Video (with the coat of arms printed only on the flag's obverse)
Green represents hope that flourishes, grows green again and produces fruit in everyday's life.
White represents purity, innocence, sanctity, glee, grace and glory.
Red represents fire, love and sacrifice.
The central, red part of the shield features a palm symbolizing growth, fecundity, life and triumph.
The green left part features a chalice with a host, symbolizing Eucharist.
The green, right part features a fleur-de-lis symbolizing service to the community.
The Latin motto, "Sicut palma florebit" ("It will flourish like a palm") come from Psalm 92:12, "Justus sicut palma florebit, sicut cedrus in Libano crescet" ("The righteous will flourish like a palm, they will grow like a cedar in Lebanon").
Ivan Sache, 10 February 2021
image by Ivan Sache, 17 September 2014
Institución Educativa San Pio X was established in 1971 in the La Enea
borough, part of the municipality of Manizales (Caldas Department), by the pries
Néstor Marulanda. The institute is named for Pope Pius X (1903-1914, canonized
on 29 May 1954 by Pope Pius XII).
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-blue-red. White is a symbol of purity and limpidity. Blue is a symbol of the deepness of the soul and of the immensity of knowledge. Red is symbol of the power of the student's spirit, of fraternity, and of dynamism.
Source: http://ptasanpiox.blogspot.fr/p/institucion-educativa-sanpiox-manizales.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 17 September 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 04 December 2014
Instituto Técnico San Rafael was established in 1944 in Manizales (Caldas
Department) by the Tertiary Capuchins, a congregation founded in 1889 by Luis
Amigó Ferrer and active in Colombia since 1905. Rafael Salazar and his wife
Leonor offered the estate "La Suiza" to house the institute.
The flag of the institute is presented in the institute's Etiquette Guidebook as horizontally divided in seven stripes, in turn green and white, with a yellow triangle placed along the hoist. The seven stripes represents Mary' seven pains. Green is a symbol of the youth while white is a symbol of peace. Yellow is a symbol of virtue.
Source: http://www.institutosanrafael.edu.co/dependencias/coor-convivencia/manual-de-convivencia.html - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 04 December 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 28 March 2009
"Colegio San Sebastian" was founded at Cali in 1994
by Liliana Osorio Garcia.
The flag of the institute, as described on the website of the institute, is horizontally divided blue-white.
Blue represents represents the immensity of the sky and of the sea.
White represents transparency and freshness, as well as intellectual and spiritual resources.
Ivan Sache, 28 March 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 29 March 2009
"Colegio San Simón" was founded at Ibagué,
Department of Tolima, on 21 December 1822 (Decree of the
Executive No. 86-5), reorganized on 30 March 1837 (Presidential
Decree) and reestablished in 1887 (Law No. 12). Its legal status
was eventually confirmed by the State Council on 8 October 1942.
Originally housed in a former Dominican convent built in 1722,
the institute moved to its modern seat in 1948. In 2002, it
merged with three other institutes to form "Institución
Educativa Colegio de San Simón".
The flag of the institute was shown graphically on Cesar David Gastelbondo Calderón's blog, as horizontally divided white-green.
Ivan Sache, 29 March 2009
image by Ivan Sache, 16 July 2014
Another blog shows the flag as horizontally divided white-green with the
institute's emblem in the middle:
http://fabioxih3.blogspot.fr. The mountain represented on the emblem must be
the Nevado del Tolima volcano (5,215 m). The Latin motto "Feriam sidera vertice"
comes from Horace's Odes (I:1 The Dedication : To Maecenas), reading "My head
will be raised to touch the stars".
There is, however, no evidence that the flag is actually used with the emblem. Photos taken during an official ceremony shows the flag without the emblem.
Ivan Sache, 16 July 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 9 November 2010
Colegio San Tarsicio, located in Bogotá, was founded on 13 February 1961 by
Ernesto Solano and Cecilia Restrepo de Carrizosa. The institute is named for the
early Christian martyr St. Tarcisius (3rd century, only known to us by a poem
written by Pope Damasus I).
The symbols of Colegio San Tarsicio are described in the institute's "Proyecto Educativo Institucional" (PEI - Institutional Education Project), as follows:
Chapter 1. Fundamental principles.
The flag of the institute is based on the papal flag, whose colors are white and yellow. White means clarity, limpidity, truth; this color, which assimilates and reflects all the other ones, which is the color of the host, and which symbolizes the Eucharist, shall be placed above everything. Dark [lit. "burned"] yellow means life, sun, force, power, energy, maturity, harvest. These two stripes, white and yellow, are separated by a coffee brown stripe symbolizing the soil, the space where we live, our universe; on the white stripe in the left part, the institute's coat of arms, which is made with the same three colors.
1.8.4. Coat of arms.
Inspired by a German stamp representing St. Tarcisio, designed by the noted religious artist K. Beuron. With a triangular shape and symbolizing the Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In the triangle: the chalice and the Saint Host surrounded by rays. In the middle, the letters [chrism] meaning "Jesus, Hostia Santa". In the base "San Tarsicio": Martyr of the Eucharist.
Ivan Sache, 9 November 2010
image by Ivan Sache, 21 September 2018
Colegio San Viator was established in February 1963 in Tunja (Boyacá
Department) by the Clerics of Saint Viator, a congregation founded in France in
1831 by Father Louis Querbes (1793-1859). The Viatorians were introduced from
the US to Colombia on 29 September 1961 by Cardinal Luis Concha Córdoba
(1891-1975), Archbishop of Bogotá (1959-1972).
The institutional flag of Colegio San Viator is composed of three diagonal stripes, blue, white and red, charged in the center of the white section with the school's coat of arms.
The colors evoke the French flag, recalling that the congregation of the Clerics of Saint Viator was founded in France, and the US flag, recalling that the Viatorians who founded the school came from the US. The ascending diagonals are a symbol of commitment and excellence guided by the principles of the Gospel. Blue represents introspection, whose fruits are connected with knowledge, tranquillity and sincerity. White represents kindness, optimism and nobleness. Red represents energy and vitality shared by the students and teacher, as well as the human values of the whole community.
The coat of arms is made of a shield divided into three quarters per pairle inverted, referring to one God in three Divine Persons. Each quarter bears one of the school's colors. The upper left quarter, blue, is charged with a red lion and a white fleur-de-lis, taken from the coat of arms of the town of Lyon, cradle of the Viatorians. The lion rampant represents fighting spirit and Christ as the Lion of Judah. The fleur-de-lis is connected to the mission and influence of the Christian religion in the Western world, and a symbol of the nobleness of the Viatorians' achievements. The upper right quarter, white, is charged with a double-headed eagle symbolizing the town of Tunja. The lower quarter, red, is charged with the coat of arms of the Clerics of Saint Viator, made of the letters "IHS" (Jesus Hominum Salvato; Jesus, Saviour of men) surrounded by the motto "Sinite parvulos venire ad me” (Let the little children come to me; Matthew 19:14), the whole surrounded by a crown of thorns recalling Christ's passion and death. Beneath the shield a scroll inscribed with the school's name; above it, a burning torch representing knowledge, truth and the Roman Catholic faith.
School websiter> Ivan Sache, 21 September 2018
image by Ivan Sache, 04 December 2014
Institucion Educativa San Vicente De Paúl was established in 1960 in Puerto
Colombia (Atlántico Department), with the financial support of Caritas. Colegio
Distrital San Vicente de Paúl was established by Resolution No. 1,354 of 13
September 1999. The institute is named for St. Vincent de Paul (1581-1660,
canonized on 16 June 1737 by Pope Clement XII), aka the "Great Apostle of
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided white-green-red with a blue triangle placed along the hoist and charged with a yellow star. White is a symbol of peace, transparency and purity. Green is a symbol of the location of the institute in the natural environment, surrounded by mangrove, and of its planted garden. Red is a symbol of love, a legacy of the institute's patron saint, characterized by an ardent charity preferentially dedicated to the poor. Blue is symbol of the mangrove and of the sea. Yellow is a symbol of the sun and its light that signals the way and shows the horizon. Jesus Christ is the sun of justice that guides our steps towards infinity.
Source: http://iedsanvicentedepaul.blogspot.fr/2013/08/simbolos-institucionales.html - Institute's blog
Ivan Sache, 04 December 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 03 October 2014
Institución Educativa San Vicente Ferrer was established in 2005 in San
Vicente Ferrer (Antioquia Department), succeeding Colegio General San Vicente
Ferrer, which had been established by Municipal Resolution No. 12 of 21 February
2000, as the merger of Liceo San Vicente Ferrer, Instituto Santa Teresita,
Colegio integral para Jóvenes y Adultos (CIJA), and Escuela Urbana Integrada
Cándido Duque Gómez.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided red-yellow-green with a white star in the middle. Red is a symbol of dynamism and movement. Yellow is a symbol of light, of the sun, of action, life, immensity, and prosperity. Green is a symbol of youth, hope, and vegetation. The star is a symbol of ideal and goal. White is a symbol of purity, nobleness, and peace.
Source: http://www.iesanvicenteferrer.edu.co/index.php/8-institucional?start=4 - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 03 October 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 26 November 2014
Institución Educativa San Vicente was established in Palmira (Valle
Department) by Resolution No. 1,802 of 4 September 2002, as the merger
of Colegio Comercial San Vicente de Paúl, Centro Docente No. 5 San
Vicente, Center Docente No. 14 Mater Dei, and Centro Docente No. 15
Rosa Virginia Pelletier.
Escuela San Vicente de Paúl was established in 1894 by the Daughters
of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, a congregation founded in 1633 by
St. Louise de Marillac (1591-1660, canonized on 11 May 1934 by Pope
Pius XI); this was the first school officially recognized in the town.
The flag of the institute is horizontally divided yellow-pink with a green triangle placed along the hoist. Yellow is a symbol of cognitive resources. Pink is a symbol of innocence's elation, authenticity and transparency. Green represents the youth and aspiration to a Christian education.
Source: http://www.sanvicente.edu.co/new/simbolos/ - Institute's website
Ivan Sache, 26 November 2014