Image after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (1998)
- Jílové, Děčín district, Ústí region - adopted 4 Jun 1998.
The town Jílové is situated on the boundary of the highland called
Děčínská vrchovina and the Bohemian Central Highlands (České středohoří),
its centre lying at an elevation of 276 m. a. s. l. It incorporates several
local parts - Jílové, Kamenná, Martiněves, Modrá, Kamenec and Sněžník.
Through the town passes the main road NoI/13 (E 442). Since 1963 Jílové
is a town, with 5 255 inhabitants (end of 1998). In June 1998 it was granted
its emblem and its flag. From the period before 1300 there is no documentary
evidence of the town. It was probably found at the Lusatian trading path
following the development of the region around Děčín and Ústí. A record
mentions a battle between the Czech duke Soběslav I. and the German Kaiser
Lothar III. that took place at the near-by Chlumec in 1126. A legend connects
this event also to the hill called Lotarův vrch. The first evidence of
the former name of the town - Eulow - dates back to the year 1348, when
king Charles IV. accepted by a document, that burghers of Ústí conquered
and destroyed probably fortified farmsteads of unnamed landlords in Jílové
and its surroundings. Later Jílové belonged to the feud of the castle Lipá
(Česká Lípa). In the16th century it became a part of the demesne Blansko,
subsequently belonging to the Jílové-branch of the Knights of Bünau. In
1629 the demesne was sold to the Thun family that resided in Děčín. A certain
evidence of a fortified settlement dates back to the year 1554. In the
second half of the 17th century it was converted into a château. Two centuries
later the romantic park was laid out and the classicism pavilion was built.
Between 1842 and 1922 the château served as a cotton spinning mill. In
1932 Thuns adapted it in neo-renaissance style and seated here till the
spring of 1946. The baroque Trinity Church was built in 1682. After being
burnt out in1859 it was adapted by using historical elements. The railway
line Podmokly - Duchcov leading via Jílové was built in 1871. In the past
used names of the town: Eulow, Ylau, Ylauia, Gilow, Eule, Eulau,Jilové.
Jarig Bakker, 1 May 2000