Last modified: 2018-05-25 by kryštof huk
Keywords: uhersky ostroh |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The town of Uherský Ostroh is situated in the area of the Morava River
valley, on a former island, about 10 km south of Uherské
Hradiště. The original name of the town - Stanice - is associated
with the past of the town, because the town was founded near the trade
route as a place of rest for traders. In the l5th century the name "Ostrov"
(=island) was common which gradually changed to Ostroh and in the
middle of the l9th century the name "Uherský" was added to Ostroh.
Built at the beginning of the lóth century, the castle dominates the town
at the side of the old fortification, the beginnings of which date back
to the l3th century. The town of Ostroh became centre of markets and craftsmanship.
At present, the town has 4,500 inhabitants. The important road no. 1/55
Přerov -Břeclav leads through the town and the railway Brno - Trenčanská
Teplá, to the border on Slovakia. The brewery is an important plant in
the town and its beginnings can be traced back to 1592. The Moravian-Slovakian
traditions survive in the town with the brass orchestra "Ostrožanka"
and the dancing ensemble "Ostrožan".
Source: this website.
Jarig Bakker, 12 Aug 2002