Image based on Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (1996)
- Vysoké Mýto, Ústí nad Orlicí district, Pardubice region - adopted 13
Vysoke Myto was established by king Premysl Otakar II. on an important
trade path called Trstenicka, which connected Bohemia and Moravia with
neighbouring countries, in 1262. By 1265 the town had been fortified. Since
1307 it was a dowry town of Czech queens. Its mighty medieval gateways,
towers and part of town walls have been preserved until today. The original
town plan - streets forming squares like on a chessboard and the square
in the middle - is an important relic of town Gothic architecture. The
square itself is the biggest square in Bohemia. The middle of the square
is enhanced by a plague column built in 1715 by Stuna from Klatovy and
paid for by the town. The oldest house in the square is the town hall with
Baroque front and double gable from 1536.
St. Vavrinec cathedral was completed at the end of the 13th century
already. Its beautiful main altar with a painting by Petr Brandl from 1728
belongs among the most valuable historical monuments of Vysoke Myto. Fortified
town which was granted royal privileges soon became the economical, military
and administrative centre of the region. The most important historical
events were engraved into a castle walls in Jungmann orchard. At the beginning
of the 19th century Vysoke Myto was the sixth in number of houses and the
seventeenth in number of inhabitants in the Czech kingdom.
The town was a residence of offices, military garrison and schools.
The town archives were established in 1859, the museum was set up in 1871
and in 1879 a grammar school was founded.
Today, Vysoke Myto is famous not only for its historical monuments
but also for the production of buses (Karosa in co-operation with Renault),
medicines (Medicamenta) and the boom in private enterprise in the building,
business and other spheres. The military buildings, in which Soviet army
was placed from 1968 till 1990, are used by businessmen now. The antique
beauty of the square is increased by private shops. The expanding accommodation
facilities allow more and more visitors to stay and experience the beauty
and tourist attractions of Vysoke Myto and its vicinity.
The town was the first in the Czech Republic awarded the prize "Sri
Chinmoyovo town of peace" for quick converting of military barracks into
peace-serving buildings and organising events supporting understanding
among nations. The international road I/ 35 which goes through the town
as well as the airport with hard and grassy runways have helped to increase
tourism. It has 11.821 inhabitants.
Jarig Bakker, 21 Apr 2001
Vysoké Mýto Coat of Arms
image from this
website, located by Jarig Bakker, 21 Apr 2001