Image after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí Čr (2002)
- Brumov-Bylnice, Zlin district, Zlin region - adopted 14 Mar 2002.
In a valley of the White Carpathians, amidst the marvelous Wallachian
landscape with its rich folk traditions, lies the town of Brumov-Bylnice
(330 m above sea-level, pop. 6,200), the "fortress of Wallachia", about
7 km south of Valašské Klobouky, on the creek Brumovka. As early as the
13th century, 3 fishponds had already been established there. King Vladislav
II Jagelonský made Brumov a town in 1500.
In 1573 a brewery was founded below the castle, in which beer is still
brewed today. New houses were added to the estate below the castle, which
became known as "The Lord's houses". The former Gattermayer water mill
also survives. In 1965 Brumov was merged with the nearby town of Bylnice.
The town is dominated by the ruins of an originally Romanesque castle,
founded before 1250, then renovated in the mid-1500's as a massive fortress
in the Renaissance style.
The castle had been owned directly by the king until the mid-14th century
as in important regional strongpoint guarding the Vlárský Pass. In 1271
it resisted the raids of the Tartars, in the 15th century it was taken
by the Hussites, and in the 17th and early 18th centuries reacquired military
significance in the wars with the Turks. After a fire in 1820 it was not
repaired. Today it provides a nice view on the town and surrounding country.
On the peak opposite the castle stands the 19th -century chapel of St.
Anna; at a lower height is the massive Gothic church of St. Wenceslas,
which dates from the 14th century, with baroque chapel added in 1676. On
the square you will find a statue of the Holy Trinity from 1777, a statue
of St. Florian and St. Gotthard, and a fountain. The Jewish cemetery lies
near the woods beyond the town. The gorgeous scenery of the White Carpathians
protected landscape area will surely encourage you to set out on an unforgettable
From this website.
Jarig Bakker, 17 Nov 2003