Last modified: 2013-11-24 by german editorial team
Keywords: saxony-anhalt | aschersleben | stadt aschersleben | aschersleben-staßfurt county | coat of arms (city gate: white) | coat of arms (tree: oak) | coat of arms (tree: green) | coat of arms (tree: oak) | coat of arm |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag adopted 1994, colours used since 1900
Aschersleben is the seat of the Aschersleben-Staßfurt County. The colours black-white-green were introduced in 1900, and the flag with the arms was reconfirmed in 1994. The name of the town is related to the Ascharia castle from which the Ascanians got their name (see also the discussion about Saxony-Lauenburg). Source: Günther 1996a.
Stefan Schwoon, 18 April 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms appear on the oldest known seal dating from the early 14th century, with the exception of the chequered shield. Aschersleben was founded as a city by the Counts of Ballenstedt and became a possession of the Bishops of Halberstadt in 1429. The chequered shield is the arms of the Bishops of Halberstadt.
Literature: Bensing et al. 1984.
Santiago Dotor, 21 May 2002